Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to remove main vent

Options
I have one of Dan's books on steam heating and have been doing some basic stuff to help my system.

One of my radiators is hissing alot and I found the one of my main vents doesn't seem to be venting.  I've tried to get the vent loose, but to no avail.  I've lubed it with deep penetrating spray and even tried heat.  The other problem is that it is in an awkward place to try and loosen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Werewolfx
    Werewolfx Member Posts: 16
    Options
    try a different penetrating oil

Try spraying it down with pb blaster or kroil once or twice a day every day for a week or longer, whack on the fitting a time or two with a wrench each time, and then try to bust it loose..if it still doesn't come out, try using a mapp gas or oxy/acet or oxy/propane torch setup for 5-10 minutes on the fitting the vent is screwed into for 5-10 minutes before even trying to break it loose. Also, do this when the system has been cold for awhile, for maximum heat difference.
  • aschmeer
    aschmeer Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Is this the right oil?

Thank very much for the response...

I see a PB-50 Blaster oil sold at AdvancedAuto Parts... is that the oil you are stating?

Know where Kroil is sold?  OR if not correct PB Blaster oil, where I might find that?
  • Werewolfx
    Werewolfx Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes, thats the right pb blaster

As far as Kroil, I've only ever seen a can of it once, and that was in the toolbox of a mechanic from NH. He swore it was better than pb blaster, only reason I suggest it.
This discussion has been closed.