Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator Pump Problem

Options
Yanks2009
Yanks2009 Member Posts: 20
Hi Everyone,

I have a steam boiler that feeds steam heat to radiators on the second floor of my house and a hot water baseboard loop on the first floor of my house. The system is on two zones (there is a thermostat for the first floor to control the baseboard and a thermostat on the second floor to control the second floor radiators).  I have a Bell & Gossett circulator pump which feeds the loop.

Recently, the B&G pump has been making a loud rattling noise.  I also notice that it is not pumping much hot water into the baseboard loop.  Only part of the loop is getting warm.  Meanwhile, the radiators upstairs have been getting hot with just the first floor thermostat on. 

A couple of weeks ago I had to cut and re-solder a pipe on the loop. It is possible that I introduced air into the system which is creating the problem.  However, for about a week following the work I did on the piping, the baseboard heat was working fine. Also, I  tried to bleed a vent on a hot water radiator connected to the loop (which appears to be the highest point)  to let some air out of the system, but it hasn't helped

Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be? Could it be that the pump is dying?  Thanks for your help.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.