Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How clean is clean

Options
ceikey
ceikey Member Posts: 60
with the boiler water? I had the water looking pretty clean after my new install. It was just bouncing slightly in the glass but was clear in color. I did some long skims and flush and fills to get it there then put some squick in and drained off the bottom to get any sludge from the squick after a few cycles.

Now after some significant piping changes I am in the process of cleaning again. Question is if I get it back to that point, is that good enough? Should I boil a sample on the stove and what should I look for if I do? Thanks for your help.

-Chris

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Skim Test

Bring a small pan of the boiler water to a boil on your stove and look at the size of the bubbles. It should look more like a bottle of soda pop fizzing to the surface rather than forming larger bubbles. Put a drop of cooking oil in the water and you'll see the difference an oil film on the surface makes

- Rod
  • ceikey
    ceikey Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks Rod

After I get it looking clean, I will give it a try! Where should I take the sample from, or doesn't it matter?
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Clean Boiler water

Probably the easiest place you can get it from. Skim port if you have a valve on it or the LWCO blowoff.
This discussion has been closed.