Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water zone off steam boiler

Options
AF
AF Member Posts: 2
I have a Burnham Direct vent steam boiler on one zone. I wanted to run 2 or 3 hot water zones to some rooms right above the boiler room on the first floor. I was told that they would tap into the steam return line in order to pull water coming back to the boiler at 180-190 degrees and that will be the hot water going out to the hot water zones. The issue seems to be that I would need to keep the boiler on ,thereby heating the whole house in order to satisfy those zones-which seems very inefficient. My question is- is there another way that this can be done or is the alternative to get a small boiler like a Baxi Luna or a tankless hot water to use to make the hot water to supply those zones? the latter seems very expensive- thoughts or other options?

Comments

• Del
    Del Member Posts: 52
    Options
    You'll need

A separate limit control for the hot water section to prevent the boiler from making steam, and therefore not heating the rest of the house. As long as you tie in below the waterline of the boiler, you're fine. You also will need a Y strainer for the HW loop to filter out the rust. The wiring can be a little complicated though.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Mulitple zones off Boiler

If you're planning on doing multiple zones plus going up a floor, you might want to look into incorporating a heat exchanger in your plan.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.