Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gurgling Radiator

Hello, Steam-Brothers!

OK...so over the last couple of years, I've been trying to remedy the issue of this "gurgling" radiator. When the heating cycle starts, it warms fine and the rad gets nice & warm to about 3/4 of the way across. It's an over 4 foot BEAST (50" t be exact).

Once it hits that point, the vent starts to breathe heavily in & out, and it's about at that point that the gurgling happens. It sounds like it is contained to the area right where the valve is...sounds like boiling water inside the valve. The sound does not happen anywhere else inside the radiator...just where that valve is.

One thing I did notice...this valve on this radiator is the only one in the house where the bolt you tighten is on the side. All others have that part on the bottom. (Could that be the issue?) I do have the proper pitch on the radiator (you can sort of see it in the picture).

Here are some pix of the radiator. The good news is...it does get hot all the way across. The bad news is...that sound shouldn't be there and I would guess will cause other issues over time...

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Gurgling

Is the radiator and the piping that feeds it pitched correctly? Check it all with a level to be sure, especially the stem end of that valve. Any other radiators with that same configuration on the input valve?

This panting might be caused by condensate piling up at a low point.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Here's my 1 cents

Sounds like the steam is getting through the valve but the condensate is not draining properly.  Could be the valve was designed to have the handle verticle, and it is installed backwards to fit in that tight spot.  Installed this way was ok for many years but now you are having noise in it?  Or maybe it was noisy from the beginning?  Either way it sounds like its not draining properly now at the same time its steaming. 

Every time I think I know something about steam,I find out I dont know #$%^
  • crash2009
    I just thought of something

Is it open all the way? 
  • brian_44
    brian_44 Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2010
    Re:Gurgling

Hey Bob & Crash. Thanks for your posts. The radiator pitch is fine and so is the piping that leads to it. Just about every radiator in my home has the same exact configuration (with valve handle on the side also) with the exception of the threaded bolt on the valve. ONLY on this radiator, the threaded bolt is on the pipe coming off the radiator where all others have the threaded bolt connecting to the pipe coming from the floor. I wonder if that might be the issue...but to tell you the truth am a little hesitant to try and remove the valve. It may be the only way to find out, though!

We've lived in the home for over 5 years and this radiator has always done this...regardless of pitch, vent or whatever.

I did make sure the valve is all the way open (although I wonder sometimes if the valve only seems open and something is wrong inside of the valve causing the condensate to backup...maybe a broken part causing it to be partially closed inside.)
  • crash2009
    Another thought

I have 1 valve that has a bent stem.  When I open that one it gets stuck in one spot and I have to wiggle and turn at the same time.  It's unlikely that this would be your problem because your valve is protected under the radiator, My bent one is right at the bottom of the stairs (high traffic area for heavy furniture).

Can you show a picture of one of the other valves that work OK?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,787
    Valve is installed correctly

This valve, with the union fitting in the port that is usually pointing down, but in this case is pointing toward the radiator with female threads, is rare, but it is intended for exactly this type of configuration where the normal orientation would not fit.  It is appropriate for the union connection to be between the valve and the radiator.

Gurgling in or near a valve of a one pipe radiator is usually a sign that the valve is partially turned off.  If you try to throttle a one pipe radiator, with the valve about 1/4 of the way open, this is exactly what will happen.

I see a few possible causes here.  It is possible that the plate portion of the valve, that part that is on the end of the stem inside the valve, has fallen off of the stem and is leaning toward the outlet of the valve, causing a partial restriction.  It is also possible that the washer itself has become unattached and is partially blocking the outlet.  Either of these are repairable.  You might be able to remove the stem and cap section of the valve with it in place, but that is not easy.  You may have to remove the valve altogether.  If you replace the valve, make sure you get another exactly like it.  They are made by Watts and Hammond, and others I am sure.

Another possibility is that the pipe size is not adequate for this radiator.  It is hard to tell by the photo, but if your radiator is 5" deep, it has 2.25 sq ft per section.  If it is 7 1/2" deep, it is 3.4 sq ft per section.  Your radiator has 25 sections, so the EDR is either 56 sq ft or 85 sq ft, depending on the depth.  I also can't tell in the photo whether you have a 1" valve or a 1 1/4" valve.   For one-pipe steam, a 1" valve is rated for up to 20 sq ft and a 1 1/4" valve is rated for 55 sq ft.   If your valve is undersized, it could restrict the heating capacity and cause gurgling.  You have already indicated that it heats just fine.  So, if undersized valve is the culprit, you have gurgling.  It deons't look like the radiator opening is bushed down, so you have the largest valve possible for the opening on the radiator.  If an undersized valve is the culprit, you will possibly have to live with the gurgling sound.  However, it will not cause any harm to the system.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Does this convector fill first?

A perhaps overlooked cause of gurgling is wet steam from a boiler that needs cleaning. If your system is unbalanced and this radiator fills early compared to others, it may just be the one that starts gurgling first, and the others don't get around to gurgling before the cycle ends. If on a very cold day you have gurgling or hissing from multiple radiators, have a look at the boiler water.
  • brian_44
    brian_44 Member Posts: 59
    Thanks...

for all of the ideas & replies.

Crash- I can send a picture when i get back home. (I can tell you...they are exactly the same as this one except for the union fitting being on the bottom rather than the side.

Dave- Thanks for all of your info. The rad is 5" deep. I'll check the valve...I think it's 1 1/2, but i will double check...

David- Thanks for the thought. No wet steam issues here. The rest of the system is running like a charm. Venting is tremendous after adding proper main and radiator vents. No other radiators give me any issues. (This one really doesn't either except for the gurgling during an extended cycle.)
  • crash2009
    Forget the picture

Dave answered the question I had in my mind.  Pictures of the others are not necessary.  Dave's summary of the problem gets my vote.
This discussion has been closed.