Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace old coal fired boiler

remops
remops Member Posts: 4
I posted a help earlier on locating and thermocouple or a replacement pilot assembly for my old boiler but no one has come to my rescue. So now I am looking at pricing a new system.

The house is a 1920 four square about 4500 square feet with original coal converted boiler probably 400,000 btu. It has single pane widows and no wall insulation. The attic has a 12" of fiberglass. I know I need to run heat loss calc's before sizing a boiler but here is the problem. I live in Memphis, TN there is really not a boiler expert left in town. 95% old homes have been converted to hot air furnaces. I like the hot water and old radiators and want to stay with this system. We do have air handlers for cooling.

I would like some advice on a brand and type of system if I replace this. Keep in mind the climate and heating season. Current heating season fuel cost are about $1,500 - $2,000 so pay back will be not a big factor. I just want a reliable system that would work well with the old radiators and ideally be a gravity fed if possible.

The next trick is to find someone to put this in.

Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.