Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Older Oil Fired Furnace & new chimney/power vent options

Hoss24
Hoss24 Member Posts: 3
I have an older oil fired furnace that works pretty darn good according to my oil man. My question is my chimney was built when Teddy Roosevelt was president. I have a 32" run to an outside wall for either the purpose of running a type L vent up the exterior wall of my house or using a power venter.

I am definitely going to work within building codes but am looking for my best and most cost effective solution. My pipe is 8" out the back of the my boiler and myvertical requirement is aprox "26 feet.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. More info required on my end please just ask.

Matt

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Can you just line the chimney?

Can the existing masonry chimney be lined with a rated/listed metal chimney liner?

I would strongly recommend that over the power vent option, especially for an older boiler.  Some of these older best require too much draft for power venters.  Check with a reputable chimney guy for advice on lining it.
  • Hoss24
    edited November 2010
    trying to open up floor plan

Thanks for the Insight.

Relining the chimney is really my last option as I am trying to open up the floor plan on a 100 year old farmhouse. Structurally its not a problem it is just in the way of any renovation. My first choice was to run L-vent up the side of the house and since it is on the north side and gets next to zero sun I would prefer to not install an exterior masonry chimney.

That being said and plumber did confirm a question I had for the power venter, if I use a steel chimney exterior type It really should be quite simple. Yes?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    chimney

I would go for the metalbestos chimney over the power vent in you case. If you want, the external metal sectioned chimney can be boxed in with wood for a nicer appearance. Power vents pull a lot of air out of a home also. I think the old farm house probably isn't that tight, so that wouldn't have been the problem, just the longevity of a chimney over a power vent is a no brainer.
  • Hoss24
    Metalbestos it is

Thanks for the input. I would rather invest in the time for box framing the exterior at my convenience than a whole new furnace at this point.

Appreciate the help
This discussion has been closed.