Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner

Options
 My gauge glass was leaking so I bought two new gaskets with washers and nuts. I also bought a new glass tube. I asked for a little bit longer glass as I noticed it seem too short.  I replaced my gauge glass with the new washers and gaskets and it still seems about a 1/2" to short.  It still leaks. I can't tighten up the nuts too much becasue the glass slides out one side or the other.  The new rubber gaskets are not as long as the older ones either. How do I install the glass correctly?

Doug

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Gauge glass

I had to replace my sight glass last year because of the same reason. In my case the sight glass is 6"" and i ordered some washers from McMaster Carr. These washers were EPDM material instead of the normal type. i thought these might be a cut above the normal rubber washers, they were about 3/8" high.

When i removed the old glass and washers, I had to really work at scraping out the old deteriorated remnants of the old washers (14 years old), i had to use a knife to get the crud out of the bonnet nuts. Once i did I was able to get the glass and washers in and all was well.

You have to try and center the glass between the upper and lower valves, there should only be about 1/8" of space when you put the glass all the way up into the upper valve, you then drop it down so it is about centered between the two valves and tighten the bonnet nuts.

If the glass is really too short you will have to either find the exact right size or buy a longer glass and a glass tubing cutter so you can roll your own. If you do have to cut one to size buy a long enough glass yube so you can get at least two out of it - just in case.

In a pinch you can close both gauge valves and run the boiler without the sight glass but that is risky because you won't really know what the water level is once you close the valves.

good luck,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    "O" Ring to Mark the Boiler Waterline.

One of the pros, Charlie from wmass,  mentioned a neat idea the other day and that is to put an "O" ring on the sight glass in the middle of  tube which would mark the boiler waterline.

- Rod
  • FireDoug
    FireDoug Member Posts: 3
    Options
    No Leaks

Thanks BobC, I got it on as you said.  I just picked up a thread on each end and slowly tighten up (hand tight only). Made some steam and no leaks!!!   Rod, just a little to late, I'd hate take if off now..... Could run a small level across and make a mark with a permanent marker.  Thanks Guy's

Doug
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    gauge glass

Did you measure the old glass and the new to see if there was a difference in length?

You might want to get another gauge glass and the EDPM washers to keep on hand because you will have to tighten those bonnet nuts up in the coming months. That glass tube can take a bit of pressure just be careful not to overdo it - have a spare on hand just in case. This link is for Mcmaster-Carr's gauge glass page, there is a link to the washers on the left margin of that page. Be careful to select the right diameter.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gauge-glass/=9jjuy3

My glass was 5/8" X 6" which they don't sell so I bought a 13" long piece and used a glass tubing cutter to get 2ea 6" out of it. Hopefully yours is a standard size so you won't need the cutter.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#glass-cutters/=9jjyd6

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.