Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a 2nd zone

I currently have a hot water system with three floors and one zone. I am going to put the 3rd floor on it's own zone. My circulator pump is on the return side now but I want to use a taco 007 with an internal check valve. Could I place the pump for the second zone on the supply side (pump away) and leave the original on the return? If not and I place it on the return side will the check valve work properly on the return side.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Generally speaking...

No.

When one circulator turns on, the off circulator will still realize flow. The check valves that come on these pumps is meant to stop back flow, not forwards flow.

My suggestion would be for you to go to the SHOP button at the top of this screen, and purchase "Pumping Away " http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/100/Pumping-Away-and-other-really-cool-piping-options-for-hydronic-systems

If you are going to go to the trouble to drain the system down to add a pump, you might as well straighten out what you've got and make it more efficient and reliable.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • tomz
    tomz Posts: 13
    thanks

Ok  thanks. I already own pumping away. I have huge 2" pipes that where installed in the fifties and lookin pretty crappy. My plan is to replace them with pex and individual thermostat valves on each radiator in the spring so I dont want to invest the time or money now to move the existing pump. I am just adding this zone now because it is just to cold on the third floor and the way it is plumbed I can do it fairly easily.
This discussion has been closed.