Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler keeps calling for water

Options
brooke
brooke Member Posts: 1
My boiler is full and still calling for water.  My condensate pump is constantly turning on.  It doesn't seem to automatically stop when it is full.  We have checked the float, replaced the arm part of it and the low water cut off switch above it.  It also still doesn't turn the boiler off when it is too low.  Is that triangular fitting next to the float responsible.  I have cleaned out the strainer at the bottom of the float arm also.  Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    overfilling boiler

You didn't mention what the control is so its difficult to say for sure, but it sounds like a McDonnell Miller 47-2 control, a combination feeder and low water cut off, or something equal. From you description, you need a heating pro to take a look. The manufacturer recommends total tear down and cleaning on a regular basis and replacement every 10 years or so. If the unit is overfilling, you have a problem with the feeder assembly, or the float is stuck in the chamber. You need to take the unit completely apart for cleaning. Also, where you took out the strainer, there is a cartridge in  there that acts as the shutoff and that may need replacement as well.

This device is critical to the safe operation of you boiler. Don't neglect it or try to fix it yourself if you don't know how to. Call in an expert ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.