Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ticking

Options
I have a radiator that ticks alot (I have single pipe system), probably more than all other radiators I have combined.

The areas where the radiator comes in contact with the house/floors are clear. It sounds like the ticking is actually coming from within the radiator. Is that possible? Is there anything that can be done to fix?

The ticking is only bad when radiator heats...really nothing when it cools.

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    ticking rad

it may be the air vent. can you switch vents with another radiator? some air vents are out of kilter, out of the box.--nbc
  • Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Slippery Plastic

It still might be the radiator moving across the floor as it expands and contracts.  You could try to slip four pieces of slippery plastic cut from a milk jug under the feet of the radiator.  It worked for me.  (I've also used Delrin guitar picks.)  I have also used self-adhesive felt discs made for furniture legs.  I've put two of them under the legs opposite the inlet valve.  They not only solve the expansion noise, they tilt the radiator a little. 

Just my $.02.
  • MelroseDave
    MelroseDave Member Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks

Good ideas. I'll try...The plastic won't melt will it??
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Melting Point of Milk Bottles

Hi - Plastic milk bottles are made from HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) which has a melting point of 266 F and is considered serviceable for temperatures up to 230 F. Since your radiator shouldn't be more than 213 F and probably a lot less where the foot of the radiator meets the floor, melting isn't a concern.

- Rod
  • Glen_7
    Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Ticking rads

In my last home I had a substantial one pipe system (30+ rads). In our master bedroom, we had the same ticking problem. We tried everything, replacing the valves, pitch, tightening the threaded connecting rod, etc. Nothing worked. The ticking was loud enough to wake us up every morning when the heat came up. None of the other rads in the house had this issue. The only way I could finally cure it was to replace them with two new radiators. After that-quiet as could be.
This discussion has been closed.