Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil burner help

Dan52
Dan52 Member Posts: 1
Dumb question I know but i am trying to tune up my oil fired boiler and am trying to turn off the oil flow to the filter but do not know in which direction to turn valve. It is the firematic one.  Thanks 

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    righty tighty

It works the same as any valve, clockwise will close it, only difference is the threaded center shaft will disappear when it closes. Sometimes you gotta lightly tap it down to seat it, if it doesn't spring closed.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    When..

When the handle falls off of the threaded stem and you give the side of the valve a tap with a screwdriver you can be fairly sure it is closed. #1 rule when working with 200 gallons of oil.. Be prepared for anything. I have two valves on mine. I close em both for service.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    filter change

As an added precaution, I usually change my tank filter right before I get my fall delivery of fuel.  If something bad happened, I would rather deal with 50 gallons of fuel than 250.

x2 on the vacuum trick, a friend of mine changed a damaged valve while a shop vac kept the fuel from leaking out.
This discussion has been closed.