Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Synchronized thermostats

Options
kk_2
kk_2 Member Posts: 57
I have a hydro-air system with an air handler upstairs (one zone), an air handler downstairs (2 zones), an indirect hot water heater, and a seldom used hydronic (radiator) zone in a workshop.  All of this is running off of a Burnham boiler.

There are currently Honeywell programmable thermostats on the 3 main zones, but the system is a bit chaotic as there is no synchronization - i.e. one zone shuts off, 10 seconds later another zone calls for heat, etc.  I'm sure the boiler is not being used in the most efficient way possible.

I see Tekmar makes thermostats (like the 544) that can all synchronize with each other so the "on" times are simultaneous.  Am I correct in thinking that would be a more efficient way to go?   Am I likely to see much savings?  This system (at least the air handlers) is also used for A/C.

Thanks,

Keith

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    Cycles

Honey well makes the Evocom zoning system that communicates with each other .…I don't think they can be programed to achieve smoother heating cycles but not surprised if it could. . Most of the zones call for heat that has to do with different heat losses per zone in the building ... To smooth out the cycles you might like to look in to an outdoor reset control .… This control will lower the boilers BTU's output though its temperature adjustment and smooth out the heating cycle .. Which adds comfort and fuel savings ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Add a buffer tank?

Not a heating professional.

Would it make sense to put in a buffer tank to separate the boiler cycling from the load demands.   Plumb it Primary - Secondary and then the boiler only cycles when the tank is cool enough  and the loads can cycle on / off as much as they need.  Obviously the tank needs to be well insulated.
This discussion has been closed.