Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water loops on a steam boiler

Options
Hi, I'm a homeowner in Massachusetts.  I need to replace an (out of warranty) oil-fired steam boiler with a DHW coil that also serves a hot water loop for 24 feet of baseboard heat in the basement.  It looks like I'm going to convert to natural gas (no gas in the house yet) with a Burnham Independent boiler (IN5) discounted by the gas distributor (N.Grid).

The contractors I worked with have given varying proposal on the baseboard loop and hot water solutions.  In particular, having any hydronic loop off of the steam boiler is an issue.  One contractor would take the baseboard loop off the boiler ("too much turbulence") and put it on the proposed gas-fired water heater.  Another would allow the baseboard to stay on the boiler but would opt for a gas-fired tank for the DHW (or go on-demand).  Another would keep baseboard on the boiler and install an indirect tank (SuperStor SSU-45).  [I would have favored the indirect if I stayed with oil.]

The main concern is that the hydronic loops (baseboard and indirect water heater) would significantly shorten the life span of the boiler.

Are these concerns valid?

What is recommended here?

Should I take the middle approach of keeping the basement baseboard (not heavily used) on the steam boiler and moving the DHW to a gas-fired water tank?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

This discussion has been closed.