Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slitting Armaflex and gluing.

Options
LarryC
LarryC Member Posts: 331
Folks,

I picked up a bunch of Armaflex from a supermarket remodeling job and I am installing on my own HW baseboard system.  I had to slit it to fit over the installed piping and now I need to seal it back together.  I understand there is a recommended contact cement to use.

My question is, what technique do you use to NOT get the cement everywhere and have it look halfway decent?  Or should I go with some sort of 2" wide tape?

Thanks.

Comments

• Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Insulation Adhesive

We use 320 Contact Cement at the college. I believe the manufacturer is K-Flex.

Use a very sharp razor knife to cut the insulation along the imprinted portion of the insulation.

Carefully apply the cement to both sides of the cut insulation.

Press together and hold for about three minutes.

Position the slit away from view so, when you are finished, you will be looking at nothing but smooth, black, unprinted insulation.

Good luck.  

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Armaflex Insulation:

That's one way to do it. It may work for you.

I do it lke this.

I use a filet knife that you can shave with. An old Newfie fisherman once told me that a good sharp knife can save your life aboard of a boat. That said, sharp knife, safe knife. Dull knife, dangerous knife. A very sharp serrated knife may work. Slit the insulation like said. Take a sheet of wax paper, the good kind. Not cheap store brand. The adhesive may stick to it. Cut it into 74" strips. After splitting the insulation, put the wax paper in the slit. Take the mentioned contact cement and brush both sides with the wax paper in the slits. Let the cement dry so it is not wet. The wax paper keeps the two surfaces from contacting each other.  Without taking the wax paper out of the slit, slide the insulation over the pipe. Remove the wax paper and press the two sides together. It will stick on contact and will not come apart once stuck together. Remember, it is "contact cement" It sticks on contact.

If you use a filet knife, and it is as sharp as mine, you can fold the wax paper over and over until you get folds the size you want. Fold them and get a good crease. Lay the paper on a flat surface and slit with the sharp knife. It works slick.

This is how we did it before they came out with the pre-slit and glued stuff.
This discussion has been closed.