Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water treatment chemicals

Options
rhmetz
rhmetz Member Posts: 1
What is the best water treatment chemical to use in a Peerless home steam boiler 500,000 btu size?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    chemicals for peerless

i use boiled water in my 211a. 1,050,000 btu.

when installed, the boiler was cleaned and skimmed, with the help of arm&hammer washing soda, as per peerless instructions, and that is the only chemical ever put in this fine boiler.

under certain conditions [pH wrong, etc.], you may use products specifically designed for a certain purpose, from rhomar.

if you are having a specific problem, please describe it here and the combined total of several hundred years of steam experience will help find a solution.--nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Boiler Water

Hi- I also have a Peerless and just use regular water with no additives. I do, however, use a Rhomar product when the boiler is idle during the summer months. Rhomar are good people to work with so if you have a specific concern give them a call.

- Rod

http://www.rhomarwater.com/products/residential-steam-system/
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    water treatment

My recommendations for water treatment are based on the characteristics on your water supply. In NE Ohio, I see a lot of boiler scale that dramatically decreases the steam output of an old boiler, wasting tremendous energy. Many steam heating systems are inefficient because of this condition. Chemical descaling takes care of it. Preventing the buildup is a better choice. If your water is not very hard, you probably don't want to use anything, as using too much (increasing your pH or over-basing) can cause foaming.

Attached is a hardness map of the U.S. I picked it up from somewhere on the net but can't remember where. I'm sure it's still accurate.
    terry
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Interesting Map!

Very interesting! Thanks for the map! I always thought it was only the South West that had hardness problems.

- Rod
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    How to interpret that map

Is a high number or low number "hard" water"?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Higher number is harder

The map shows PPM CaCO3, or parts per million of Calcium Carbonate, also known as lime.  Thus the higher the number, the more dissolved lime in the water.

The map is based on generalities, and cannont be assumed to be accurate for every locationg.  Here in the Quad Cities, even thought the map shows very high hardness, we actually have great water conditions.  Our water comes from the Mississippi river instead of wells, and thus is not very hard.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.