Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cap for steam....

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
How do you cap a 2" steel steam line w/o the use of a threaded cap? got 2 " line that is out of shape and the die won't fit on..... ty,kpc

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    capping distorted pipe

can you find some way to put in an internal plug [wood, rubber, plastic]? then drill the end to secure the plug with a bolt. alternatively, maybe there is a rubber cap for vent stacks in that size, which is secured by a screw clamp.

cranking down the pressure to a few ounces would be very important to prevent the plug from being fired out, a la potato cannon!--nbc
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    maybe...

theytry fire rated expanding foam. you can secure it with sticks of plumbers epoxy, the kind that hardens like steel. although I'm not sure what effects stream has on expanding foam. you wouldn't want it to dissolve into your boiler. does a soda can fit inside thee pipe?
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    Options
    plug?

plugging it with something sounds kinda ghetto.  If you aint gonna run new threads on the pipe, weld it. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2010
    Options
    McMaster Sells An Expansion Plug

McMaster-Carr sells an expansion "Test" plug for 2" pipe.  It's rated for 225 degrees. I attached a pdf of the catalog page.  I'm not sure how long it would last.

2554K75

Bolt-Tight High-Pressure Test Plug for Pipe ID 1.73" to 2.07"

In stock at $33.64 Each

If it were mine, I'd get a weld-on cap.
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Shorten the pipe and rethread.

If there is room, cut the pipe back and rethread?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I would but....

There is only 3" to work w/... and that is partially out of wack. The bolt on type would probabaly work....ty
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Remove the pipe stub.

The temp caps are just that and I know of none rated for steam. Take it out as you would a radiator spud from the fitting it is in and use a pipe plug.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    As Charlie says...

... the only way is the right way.  Cut the nipple out with a Sawzall, cutting a slot or two in it internally to loosen and insert a plug. 
This discussion has been closed.