Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Massachusetts CO interlock requirements...

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Can any one give me the name of the CO interlock that is required on heating systems in Massachusetts? I have a situation where one would come in handy, temporarily.

Thanks in advance.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Not certain of a specific

interlock, except for dry contacts on the CO detector wired to shut down the boiler by an in-series relay.

The only other requirement in MA specific to this, is that the CO detector serving the boiler has to be hard-wired on the same circuit as the boiler in new work, so that the detector cannot be shut down without the boiler also being off.

There may be something else I missed, so will stay tuned.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Thanks Brad...

Here is something that I found that will work. This is a strange situation whereby the system is slated for replacement soon, but I discovered some serious CO issues with the existing physical plant, and need to protect the residents (MFD).

http://selector.3m.com/selector/us/en/healthcare/occ_health_safety/gasdetect_p/TechSheets/CM-21AManual.pdf

I will have to place slave relays to handle the amperage, but I think it will work great. Will also wire the alarm contacts to a remote dial out device just incase an "Issue" arises.

ME

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Co interlock

Mark, MA does have a code for the interlocking of CO with a rangehood for commercial applications. I belive Honeywell makes one. Not sure its code for boilers.
  • Brad White
    Options
    MA Code regarding cooking

Hi Scott!

I was not aware of a CO requirement specific to commercial cooking, but we do have a provision in the code to have a ventilation interlock. This is to confirm that the hood exhaust fan airflow is proven before the main or pilot gas valves can be opened.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • ScottMP
    Options
    same thing

Thats what I was talking about Brad
  • Brad White
    Options
    Oh.

OK, I saw the CO reference but the interlock does not wait for CO to be present although it relates to it eventually. Good to be on the same page with you as always!

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • ScottMP
    Options
    CO detector

Not making myself clear Brad sorry. A CO detector is an acceptable alternative method to a drafting proving switch in a commercial hood application.

I thought ME could use that type fo control system to shut down gas to a boiler.

Scott
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options

This discussion has been closed.