Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spitting Main relief valve would like to cover

Options
My steam boiler was replaced 2 years ago and the original system and piping was done when the house was built in 1934. There are 2 steam pressure relief values in the basement. One looks like it is as old as the system and the other was recently replaced. The hole on the original value is pointing toward the front rim joist. That area currently has electrical, alarm and other wires and when the steam is on they get wet. I am looking to frame the wall where these valves are located and will insulate the rim joist. I am afraid the insulation will get wet and mold/mildew will grow. Can I place a lucite or hard plastic box above this valve and drill opening in the other side of box? This where there will be air going into the boax and the insulation and wires are being protected. Otherwise are there other ideas?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Spitting main

A Main valve that spits is defective and has to be replaced. If the mains are about the same size you can just replace it with one like the newer one, assuming the system is working well - the heat comes up quickly on the side with the newer vent.

I would not box a vent in, leave an access panel so it can be serviced. Maybe you can plumb the air valve away from the rim joist with a couple of 90 degree's and a short nipple. If you put a box around the NEW vent just make sure the hole is at least 3/4" and goes through any wall into the cellar, so the air can easily escape.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Ron Feldman
    Ron Feldman Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Spitting Main relief valve would like to cover

You are suggesting that I try and remove the old valve (looks original and scary looking) and replace it with a new one? Can this be a problem if I have never done anything like this and would I be better just callign the plumber to achieve this task? I am not planning to bax the vent in so to say. The vent is 6.5' up and will eventually be in the drop ceiling area. What I am looking to do is put a box over the valve and place an opening or openings behind the box instead of in front where valve is currently spitting. Thus giving it access to air and preventing it from damaging my insulation.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    My 2 cents

Fix the vent first.  You may end up having to fix the vent, the insulation, wiring, and the suspended ceiling.  Not to mention the flooring.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Main valve replacement

Getting that old valve out can be a challenge, by all means have your serviceman replace the main air valve if you don't want to do it yourself.

Covering the valve is fine as long as there is space between the output of the valve and the cover. It sounds like you will have more than enough space for the valve to work properly and you can access it for servicing..

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.