Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solo 110

Options
    Hi. I am having a problem with my solo 110. In the summer the unit will start fine. In the cold months when the unit burner states it will start with a loud bang, or thump. I have tested the unit & the following is propane 5&1/2 in w.c., the co2 is 11.2%, stack temp 174F. This happens on high fire. the unit is pri, sec piping, it is vented to the out side with a concentric configuration. I can't fine the problem. Any help would be great.           Thank you Mike.

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    edited October 2010
    Options
    RE: Solo110 prob

Is it natural gas, if so the CO2 is too high. Also you may have a ignition electrode with too wide of gap due to distortion as they will open up when put in if the screws are too tight. Good luck  whoops, sorry, just noticed it was propane, do look at the electrode gap.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    solo 110

Ok thanks I will do that.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Solo 110 Problem:

Didn't you say in your post that it was a Propane fueled? And you have 5& 1/2" (5.5") WC? How did you measure that? Propane needs a minimum of 9" WC and more like 11.5 to 12" WC. If this thing is listed for Propane and never converted and running at 5.5" WC, it might run.

What is this thing running?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Fuel type

icesailor

The unit is running propane, when I talked to a tech about this problem he said to reduce the WC to around 5 to 6 " WC. I did this & it seemed to work. I haven't had a problem all summer **** it runs foe hot water. Now that it is getting colder it started to, ill call it a puf back. I will up the WC & see what happens. I used a gas meter gauge. 

Thank you Mike
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Propane:

What does the origonal rating plate say, Natural Gas or Propane? If it says Propane or "LP", has it been converted? Does it have the required conversion stickers on it?

I am not a expert on gas or propane but I only deal with gas in a LP form. No natural. I've never heard of LP running at 5" WC. Most every appliance I install needs to be converted from Natural to LP. I've not seen any LP rating plates or conversion plates for LP that read 5" WC.

Lowering the WC changes the air/fuel ratio and makes it less gas rich. Leaner on gas so to speak.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Options
    solo 110

is LP ready, no conversion.

I agree at 11" wc for propane.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    We had one

that did the same thing. Unit was propane and only made the bang when we were not there. Checked everything 3 times, just about ready to have the customers head checked and we heard it. We changed the igniter and that was the end of it. Have many installed on propane and that was the only one that ever did this.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
    Do you mean "hard start?"

If you're talking about "Hard start" it could indeed be the spark gap or an old/degrading igniter. Could also be the ignition lead.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2010
    Options
    solo 110

Hi all & thanks for the info I was away for several days. The rating plate states LP. It has been converted. I adjusted the WC to 11", checked the spark gap & cleaned it. So far the unit has been running fine. If I have any other help I will be back. This site has so many helpful people.                   Thank you Mike.
This discussion has been closed.