Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Great Learning opportunities from the RPA

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Our friends the Rohrs are in the online educational offerings being hosted by the RPA.

<a href="http://www.radiantpanelassociation.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=720">http://www.radiantpanelassociation.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=720</a>

Check it out.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Webinars

And if you miss them they will be made available for purchase in the future, looks like a real good series of webinars, looking forward to Carol Fey's
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Sad Sad Sad

Sad to charge its members for training when you can get the same type of techincal training for FREE from industry Pros at Caleffi and Taco. I can understand charging non members.

If the RPA truly wants to "change" and draw more members these are the types programs they should promote as part of their membership dues not charging for them.  Just my opinion.

• Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Sad but true...

Do you really think that Caleffi and Taco are not paying their employees for their contributions? Do you really think that the service they are providing is not rolled into their overhead expenses, and we as consumers of their products are subsidizing them? If you DO believe they are free, then you have a LOT to learn about being in business, because NOTHING is free. Someone has to pay for it.

I realize that you don't mind working for free, as is obvious with the HV web site, but in order to attract good quality programs and speakers, there has to be some incentive$.

Oh sure, I give back for free on a regular basis, especially here on the Wall, but if I have to take time out of my schedule to put a program together, shouldn't I expect to be compensated? Trust me, the honorarium is not that heavy.

As for overall costs, the RPA is one of the LEAST expensive organizations to belong to. If you don't believe me, join up with the ASHRAE group.

Now, if you were a member, you could express your opinion directly to people who would listen. Won't you consider joining?

Personally, I don't think they charge enough for ANY of the services they offer.

I'm a Gold member, and it cost me less than $50.00 per month to belong.

Pittance IMHO...

But thank you for expressing your opinion. I am certain that some board members will see it.

ME

• mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    NATE Cert

Do any of these qualify for NATE cert points? Thanks Matt

• CMadatMe
    Options
    Webniars

The RPA should use nobody outside of the membership as speakers. As members those speakers should be doing them for free for the membership. There should be no monetary personal gain on part of any speaker. That is what being a part of an orgranization is all about. Helping your fellow member.

If anyone at the RPA had a clue they would not air these live. I would have bundled them for the local chapters and let them use them as a tool to promote the organization and local chapter. Then the cost associated with them goes away as you would be providing a meeting place, food and education. The local chapter would pay the RPA for these say $100.00 for the bundle so it's a win win on both sides of the fence instead of just the hen house.

But what do I know I'm just a little organization in a ocean of big fish.

• Mark Eatherton
    edited October 2010
    Options
    In an ideal world....

Let's call it hydronic Utopia, everything would be free.... Free seminars, free conferences, free food, free beer.

But here in reality, it takes man (and woman) power to keep the wheels of progress turning. The Executive Director still has a mortgage payment to make every month, as well as his staff of assistants.

All of this requires money in order to make it work, and the money has to come from as many sources as it can.

The RPA is a non profit organization, so its not like we have to worry about them making TOO much money.

Then, there is perceived value. If every thing is FREE, no one perceives the value of it, and it goes away.

So, I guess you won't be joining us soon eh... :-)

PS, Most, if not all of the current list of contributors ARE members. And once it is in the archives, they don't get a "Pay per view" fee. Just the one time development/presentation honorarium. The fees are going towards supporting the organization. Nothing wrong with that.

ME

• Mark Eatherton
    Options
    I think some are Matt....

I know numerous of their courses are accredited for continuing education credits for professionals. My suggestion would be to contact the RPA and ask them directly. I know there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scene trying to get more accreditation for their offerings.

Call and talk to Ted Lowe. If he's not there, ask for Jeff Brenecke.

ME

• CMadatMe
    Options
    Fees

I live in Hydronics Utopia :)....

I agree they should be charging for non-members. But I don't feel charging members for sitting in their office, home or truck to educate themselves helps the RPA. If the RPA wants to grow it needs more chapters (members) and tools like these webinars should be used as a tool to get more members. Instead it turns guys off. I have heard this numerous times from my members that were RPA members. They don't feel the RPA truly represents them its about the RPA.

So for 25 bucks (member fee) I get to listen to Paul Rohr talk about dirt separation? I can go to Caleffi web' site and get the same webinar by the same man for free. I can listen to Ellen all day long on HVACTv for nothing. I can go to Taco's FloPro Team and get a boat load of technical video training for nothing. The RPA web site members section should be filled with links to all these great FREE manufacturer trainings. It's not hard to do. The little guppie I am did it on our site. Showing members that you are here to help them doesn't always need a dollar bill attached to it.

I charge $35.00 to attend our monthly meetings for members, $50.00 for non members. For that 35 bucks you get a cocktail hour, 3 course meal your voice and opinions can be heard, a training class and the chance to mingle with your peers, friends and competition each month and every month.

This is what I get out of it...Self satisfaction that I can help my fellow peers. We make virtually nothing from these meeting unless I get a bunch of non members to show.

I'm going to sit back and watch what goes on with the RPA before I consider to or not to join. So far don't see anything that makes me gravitate to them.

• Mark Eatherton
    Options
    What?!?!?!?

You're CHARGING money for people to attend your seminars? I thought you lived in Hydronitopia :-) The land where EVERYTHING is F R E E . . .

And if you hear Paul Rohrs talking up dirt and air separation, that means he's changed jobs/companies again...

Wanna know a secret. Bob Rohr sleeps with Ellen Rohr, but don't tell anyone. Their parents still think they're just really good friends ;-) And what EVER you do, don't tell their offspring Max. He thinks his dads real name is Hot Rod. Poor confused child ;-)

The key advantage to attending a live seminar is that you get to ask the presenter a direct question and get an answer on the spot. Like to see you do that on HVACTV...;-)

Hide and watch. This organization is headed for the top, with you or without you. We'd love to bring you along for the ride.

ME

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    Options
    manufacturers

chris,

one of the main difference with rpa webinars are they are not product specific. sure we know hot rod works for caleffi but other manufacturers address dirt and air also, and rpa webinars are general or try to be as much as possible.

maybe that will change as did the recent name change now that it is in an "alliance" with manufactures.

my membership and cerification with rpa has directly generated tens of thousands of dollars in jobs, i'll pay the $25. and chris if you throw some work my way since i'm in the area, imaybe 'll join yours too.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Devan

Trying to bribe me :)... Just to let you know if the guys up in S&A didn't. We are having National Grid come in to the Halfmoon, NY branch on the 28th to go over the new rebate programs. We will also have all the reps and products there that qualify for rebates. Kinda like a mini trade show. I'll be up there. I recently took a new postion with the company as the Hydronics Product Manager for the whole family of companies. I'm a traveling fool now. NJ, PA, NY, and MA..

This discussion has been closed.