Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

american standard baseboard rad specs?

Options
jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
does anyone have edr and/or air volume for american standard baseboard rads? I'm trying to balance a one pipe system with these installed. I've found an edr rating of 3.4 for burnham base-rays and 3.2 for governale gov-boards. are these figures per linear foot? the specs were not at all clear about what those figures represent.

thanks
1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics

Comments

• jpf321
    Options
    bump and a comment

I found in Gill & Pajek paper on balancing that the baseboard rads are rated with 0.07cf of air per sf of EDR .. this seems awfully large CF compared to the other types. I have asked Mr. Gill to verify this number via email, I will advise. I have a feeling it should be 0.007cf air/sf EDR.

I'm still not clear on how to determine the EDR of a baseboard rad. As I mentioned, the figure I have found on Burnham and Governale site is simply 3.2-ish .. is that per linear foot of baseboard? That's the only figure that could make sense but I'm still not sure how to get 3.2ft or of a single linear foot .. 1ft for front, 1ft for back 1.2ft for width and cutouts? Hmmm ..

if anyone has proper EDR and air for C.I. baseboard rads, that would be much appreciated still.

thanks.

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    okay, this may or may not help you..

charts have a couple missprints..radiant rads are .08 and cast baseboard 10'' high are .01 cf of air per sq ft edr...thats from dead mens steam school workbook..

yes, the ratings are per linear foot..

hydronics rating handbook lists only one kind of american standard baseboard in cast iron..it came in 8'' high and 10 inch high..it was rated in btu per linear foot so you will have to divide by 240...heres the catch..they only list 220 degrees and 210 degrees that you can choose from..8'' high at 220 degrees is 690 btu per l/ft...at 210 degrees its 630 btu per l/ft....the 10 inch high is at 220 degrees 800 btu per l/ft...and at 210 degrees its 740 btu per l/ft....

did that help?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jpf321
    Options
    thanks ..

Thanks Mr. Gill ....

I'll split the difference since and use 770 BTU/lf @ 10" high. and divide by 240 which low and behold .. comes to 3.21 as per the specs aforementioned :-)

And I'll update my venting worksheet and repost an update on Tues (I'm headed outta town right now). The change in the Radiant Rads is going to throw off a few rads in my house(s) .. but thanks for the new info.

• jpf321
    Options
    double check - cast iron radiants

The new value which you provided for Cast Iron Radiants seems awfully large. 0.08cf / sf EDR .. can you double check that figure? That means that a radiant 14" wide has 1.1cf of air, enough to warrant a Gorton #2 (presuming 1min vent time @ 1oz.)

I have a radiant in my living room that is 60" across. (EDR 60sf.) with the new air capacity of 0.08cf/sfEDR that would be 4.8cf.

If the 0.08 is indeed correct, I'll have to rebalance substantially in some cases.

• jpf321
    Options
    correct Radiant Value = 0.008cf (and 10" baseboards = 0.011cf)

According to notes on bottom right of page 7 of this document: http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/pdf/radiant_lit.pdf

A radiant rad has a water content of 0.15gal / section

Each section is 2.25sf of EDR

0.15gal = 0.02005cubic feet

0.02cf / 2.25 = 0.0089 cf Air / sq ft EDR

so the number original in the chart was correct: 0.008cf Air / sq ft EDR for C.I. Radiant Rad. or (0.009 is you want to round up.)

NOW, using the same trick .. based on the notes on page 5 of the above document:

Each lineal ft of Burnham C.I. Basboard 9-7/8" High = 0.30gal = 0.04cf Air

Each linear foot approx 3.4sq ft EDR

So 0.04cf / 3.4sq ft = 0.011 cf Air / sq ft EDR.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    good to know..

dans booklet is out of print so i don't think the tupo source matters much anymore but it may come up again if its in the balancing booklet too..been years since i looked at it so i don't remember..glad you found the data tho.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.