Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron radiators

mtiierney
mtiierney Member Posts: 2
I was reading an article on how to convert from steam to hot water and it said that the older column type radiators may not be connected across the top of the radiator making this a difficult conversion. The article said this: The trouble with those old

column radiators, though, is that their makers never intended for them

to be used with hot water. Those individual radiator sections aren't

connected across the top, and that presents a challenge with water. You

have to look real close to notice this on those old radiators, and it's

the very first thing you should look for when you're considering a

conversion from steam to hot water. If you don't see those top push

nipples, the conversion isn't going to be very easy - or practical.

What exactly am I looking for??? I am supposed to be picking some radiators up on Sunday and I know they are the column type although I don't know how old they are.  Are ALL column type radiators NOT connected across the top? I know they were being used for steam but they looked like they were connected across the top.  What do the top push nipples look like???  Does anyone have pictures of radiators that are NOT connected across the top? HELP!!!!

here is a link to a picture of the radiators.  They are the two on the top pic

<a href="http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hsh/1997411518.html">http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hsh/1997411518.html</a>

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Looking good.

You are good to go. The give-away is the plugs on the top, and the rounded out part between sections.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    those are...

actually hot water already... no conversion needed. The seller does not know what s/he has.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Oddly enough

the ad says Somerville, but Davis Square. Across town in Union Square is Fran Fahey at A-1 Radiator. You are surrounded.

But this is an independent sale, so if in operation now, you should verify that or leak test before installing or better yet before buying. (Yes they are installed, but working? They said to bring tools but let's hope they drained the system.)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • mtiierney
    mtiierney Member Posts: 2
    True

They are actually not in operation at the moment.  I am pretty sure the system is drained.  Several of the radiators had been sold and removed before I got there and the owners left the pipes open.  I will test before I install them but for the price I paid even if they are junk I could scrap them and still not really lose.  Plus, I called A-1 radiator to ask if they removed radiators because I figured that would be easier than me messing with them and they told me to call a plumber.  They don't remove radiators. 
This discussion has been closed.