Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I Run a Boiler off 2 Oil Tanks

Options
mpf1111
mpf1111 Member Posts: 3
Hello everybody,

Here is the scenario. I have a two apartment house. Has 1 boiler with 2 zones and 2 seperate oil tanks. One tank is outside in the ground (currently not hooked up) and the second tank is near the boiler hooked up.

I would like to hookup the unused oil tank and setup a system where depending on which apartment calls for heat , the corresponding oil tank will supply the oil.

This way each tenant can fill their own tank and use the same boiler and burner ie, depending on whose thermostat calls for heat, boiler will turn on and corresponding oil tank will supply the fuel.

I will be very grateful for your suggestions for such a setup since i don't have the money or space to install another boiler.

Thank you all much

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Questions.

I am not a professional, and have no advice to give you, but I have some questions.

1.) Is the in-ground tank, not being used, brand new and sure to not be leaking? Because if it might leak, you could be in for $50,000 or more (or if you are lucky, less) in remediation costs if you were to put oil in it. Of course you might be in for this already, but putting more oil in there will not lower the costs.

2.) How would it work if both apartments called for heat at the same time? If you are billing for heat, could you be legally sure that an equal amount of oil came from each tank, irrespective of temperature and %fill?
  • mpf1111
    edited October 2010
    Options
    please explain

Slo-115's idea sounds good. Never knew about electronic oil valves !  Yes boosterpumps makes sense. Please explain to me ' they dont steal oil from each other downstream from electronic oil valves. Oil  feed lines are coming seperately from each oil tank to the boiler/burner.

When you say 'hydro meter', are you referring to electric meters ? if so yes, each apt has its own electric meter. They pay for it. I pay for water.

Also please explain to me about the 2 Oil fired water heaters. How do I use them to solve this issue ? Pardon my limited knowledge. I appreciate your ideas.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you much.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    There is a reason that tank was disconnected

I am not sure if it is because it leaks or it is a liability the insurance company does not want to cover but oil tanks do not just get abandoned. I vote for separate boilers and tanks.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • mpf1111
    Options
    2 Oil tanks

Hi Charlie,

The oil tank outside which is a 550 gallon tank was never abandoned. When I had a 'new' boiler installed around 10 years ago, the guy gave me a package with 275 gallon oil tank in the basement.

So he capped the lines of the old tank inside the basement and hooked up the new tank which only has one line. In fact I had the old tank checked for oil about a few weeks ago and it was 1/3rd full. I dont remember how much oil was left when we decided to cap the lines. I don't know how good the oil is since it 's been sitting there for almost 10 years.

Any suggestions please ?

Thank you 
  • rockhound57
    rockhound57 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    outside 550

hopefully there's a test/measuring port on the tank. Have your oil company sample it for water and contamination, then you might make a deal with them to pump it into your new tank if it's deemed usable, or disposed of if not. I would be reluctant to continue to use it. I was in an apartment house a few years ago that used hourmeters on the zone valves to record demand, then someone would take a reading at billing time to divide the bill; seemed simple and effective. A little more paperwork for you, but you know the bills are getting paid, and a LOT less equipment to maintain. Good luck!
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Reality

DON"T DO IT!

If both renters call for heat at the same time, it won't draw oil equally from each tank. Someone will be getting ripped off. You don't need a war with your tenants.

You also don't need the liability of an underground tank. Get rid of it before it leaks and costs you huge amounts of money to clean up.

The ONLY way to do this right is to put in a separate boiler and tank for the other tenant. Or you could put hour meters on their circulators and split the bill based on usage. I've seen this done. If they get hot water off the boiler it would not work so well. With a cold start boiler it would work better, but still not as exact as putting in a second system.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I agree with Paul....

...... With his reasons but would like to add another unmentioned problem which may result in a spill.… The tank with the highest level of oil will siphon into the lower tank ... Fluids will find its common level ... Sure you can keep add devices to temporary solve all mentioned problems ,but what I know and keeps me working is the fact that everything man made will fail ... Its just a matter of time ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.