Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1/8" hole for gorton#2

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
Good evening. According to Gerry's chart on air vent capacities a gorton #2 vents approximately the same amount of air as an open 1/8" pipe. Accordingly, when drilling and tapping in order to install a gorton # 2, would it be necessary to tap a hole larger then 1/8"?  Thanks

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    A Gorton #2

requires a 1/2" coupling or fitting.  It has a 1/2" MPT stem.

The parallels between a 1/8" pipe and the venting rate of a Gorton #2 is just incidental. It is equally odd, but the Gorton #1 has a stem tapped for a 1/2" nipple (FPT on the Gorton) or a 3/4" coupling or fitting (MPT on the Gorton), yet vents about one-third the rate of the Gorton #2.

Personally, I would not just tap into a main, if that is what you are thinking, but elevate the Gorton on a nipple well above the main and held back from an elbow as per good practice. But you knew that. :)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    1/8"

Thanks Brad. What I typically do when tapping the main for the Gorton#2 is to drill and tap a 1/8" hole and use a short 1/8" nipple/ a 1/2"-1/8" bushing, a 1/2" nipple etc. As you mention i always offset. I just wanted to make sure that the 1/8" hole was adequate
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    My ideal

is a 3/4" or larger riser to a tee and either a nipple-tee-plug on each side or a street elbow on each side, to form an antler or menorah. Same principle as a steam riser, I want to keep jetting water up away from my precious Gortons.   We agree on offsets, but I also want to have a path for any moisture to get back down to the main and return.

With a 1/8" tapping, I would be afraid of water jetting up under velocity, the vent being the end-game as far as moving steam is concerned.  The other thing I would be concerned about is the relatively small opening being plugged, it being off the main or that condensate flows down as steam is coming in.

But that is just my preference.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.