Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Experience with Peerless series 63 for steam applications?

Options
BobA
BobA Member Posts: 2
Hi all.  I need to replace my Weil-McLain EG-45 gas-fired steam boiler, which died a somewhat pre-mature death.  A few contractors gave me estimates, and the one who seemed to know the most about steam systems (which I care about more than price) has proposed installing a Peerless 63-04L.

Does anyone have any experience, either good or bad, with the Peerless series 63?  I had considered a Burnham IN6 or possibly a Slant/Fin GXHA-160.  But I've never heard of Peerless, so do not know what their quality is like compared to Burnham and Slant/Fin.

I looked at the specs for the Peerless 63-04L, which seems to be identical to the 63-04 (another possible alternative)  with a smaller burner unit.  On paper, at least, it looks ok.  They provide a nice large tapping for the steam riser (3"), with support for optional dual risers.  I imagine this would keep the steam exit velocity nice and low, assuming correct near-boiler piping.  Steam AFUE seems about the same as competing models from Burnham, Slant/Fin, and Weil-McLain. 

I just don't know anything about their quality and reliability, so I thought this would be the place to ask.  Any opinions?

Thanks,

- Bob

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Gas Boilers

Hi Bob-

I can't tell you much about the model which you are considering. I do have a Peerless, oil fired, Model ECT-04 and have been very happy with it and with the Peerless Company. On the few questions that I have had they have been very responsive.

Since you are putting in a gas boiler you might want to look at several recent posts where a water based boilers with gas power burners were discussed. The wet based boiler with a power burner is very fuel efficient. Here is the link:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/132132/Slantfin-Smith-G-8-power-burner-question

Here is a link to another post which features wet based boiler with a power burner which replaced an ancient coal boiler.  This was done by Steamhead and Gordon, two steam pros  who are experts at this type of setup. http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/132181/Farewell-Mr-Snowman

I see you also had a question on insulation "allowance". You lose a lot by not insulating your piping. I went several years with a "tropical" basement and was very surprised the improvement it made when I insulated my near boiler piping. You may want to look into insulating the basement piping and run a separate hot water radiator off the boiler (see attachment) for basement heating as this maybe more fuel efficient.

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    premature boiler replacement

i am also happy with peerless boilers and 3 years ago, we replaced a 35 year old american standard with a 1,000,000  btu peerless 211a.

i was happy about 2 things: we have a local stocking distributor within 5 miles of me, and  my chosen contractor was very familiar with that make and model.

i would advise you to see how far away the parts come from on any make of boiler reccommended by your chosen installer, who will hopefully be a steam expert, and can read the installation manual!

definitely insulate those supply pipes, even if you do it yourself!

also consider the purchase of a vaporstat to keep your pressure, and fuel costs lower, along with plenty of mainline venting.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.