Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Gauge for Peerless Boiler Modle EC-04

Rider
Rider Member Posts: 2

I recently moved into a house w/ a peerless EC-04 oil fired boiler and the pressure gauge is not working. It is a steam heat system and the gauge displays both PSI and Vacuum. I understand the PSI but don’t understand why the gauge would measure vacuum. Could it be the wrong gauge? Does anyone know what the specs are for the correct gauge.

Thanks

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Steam gauges

read pressure and vacuum becuase the system can become both .

Is the gauge stuck in the psi range ? Is it connected directly to the boiler ? We install them after a pigtail so it'll last longer . Seems to work .
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Gauge reading?

What sort of pressure readings are you expecting to see on the gauge? In a properly operating residential steam heating system, you should not really see any indication on the usual 30 PSI gauge. Under maximum heating conditions, the pressure might reach 1.5 PSI, which would barely move the needle on the gauge. The 30 PSI gauge is really there to meet code requirements.
  • Rider
    Rider Member Posts: 2
    Why Vacuum &

Thanks for the response I appreciate it. My primary question is why vacuum would be measured and if anyone knows what the specs call for in terms of a gauge. I would lie to replace the broken gauge ASAP as its starting to get COLD!
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2010
    Gauge

Why Vacuum? Depends on the steam system. There are some steam systems designed to run on very low pressure (ounces of pressure) and even into vacuum hence using a vacuum gauge.  You're system maybe one of those that run on vacuum or it maybe somebody just had a spare gauge and used it as a replacement.

I have a Peerless 04 boiler and the gauge that came with the boiler is the standard 0-30 PSI which is required by code. I've also added a 0- 3PSI gauge to more accurately see what my steam system is doing as it normally runs below 1 1/2 PSI.  Almost all residential steam systems operate at under 2 PSI. (Lower Pressure = better and saves fuel) This site has some very good books on steam in their "Shop" section. If you haven't already read it, I would suggest a book titled: " We Got Steam Heat!"

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence

It's written for the homeowner, is easy humorous reading and in a few evenings reading you'll know a lot more about your steam system.

As to a gauge, try the Gauge Store -

http://www.gaugestore.com/?gclid=CPHJwcnWzaQCFQQCbAod9gIJCw

The gauge I added is a 0-3 PSI gauge  # 33020. As Ron Jr. mentioned use a pigtail to protect the gauge from live steam.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.