Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the name of this part?

lis123 Member Posts: 2
While wrenching on this nut (for removal to refinish the flooring) it was split.  It is the inlet portion of my hot water radiator and I'm not sure if this pipe system has a name so that I could replace it...which begs the question of how to unscrew a threaded pipe with a flaired end and a loose nut...  So, three questions: Is there a name, how does one remove for replacement, and where are parts typically found?


  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Radiator valve fitting

    That's the other half of a radiator valve. If you look inside of it, you'll see two small stubs sticking out along the rim of the inlet. These are there to allow you to use what's called a spud wrench to remove the fitting-the tool slides inside the opening and will contact the stubs, and then you can turn it with a pipe wrench to spin it out.
  • lis123
    lis123 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you

    I appreciate your time and expertise immensely!!  Now, hopefully I can get the right parts in time before the cold weather hits.  Next up is searching online for the other side of the radiator valve fitting.  Perhaps they are sold separately and will fit like a glove.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Radiator Angle Valve

    You'll have to buy the whole radiator angle valve. Parts are not sold separately....and a radiator spud wrench.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752

    Cut the loose union nut off with a hacksaw, lay the radiator down, and get a big wrench on the spud. You can use a spud wrench to install the new one, but they rarely help in getting the old spud out. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,314
    This may be a better tip

    Check the find a pro section if you are unsure. Best of luck.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

    cell # 413-841-6726
This discussion has been closed.