Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod-Con Boiler Condensate eating cell core ABS drainage?

SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
I heard a rumor recently that there have been some issues with boiler condensate eating cellular core ABS in drainage systems if that is all they are exposed to (e.g. say in drain downstream of a P-trap of a floor drain that may have the boilers condensate drain piped to it, etc.). Anyone else here anything along these lines?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    That would be a crying shame...

I've not seen any actual failures of foam core ABS due to condensate, but it matters to reason, because I have seen indirect wastes from soda pop dispensers that there seeing embrittlement.

Guess I will have to throw some foam core in my condensate receiver/neutralizer/pumping station and see what happens over time...

Hind sight is 20/20 eh...

I remember some picture of neutralizers that folks have built here that were made of ABS. Don't know if it was foam or solid core, but remember seeing them.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Nothing in particular but

I suppose we are talking about pre-neutralized raw condensate? If post-neut, I would be concerned, certainly.

My first indication of a plastic breakdown was when I used a poor-man's neutralizer for my Monitor MZ. It was just an empty plastic drywall compound bucket (I think it is PVC but someone can confirm. It had a "4" on the recycling label as I recall.)

Anyway, I filled it with marble chips, maybe a 10 lb. or 20 lb. bag and let it drip, with the overflow into a basement laundry sink. The pH never got below 8 as I recall when I tested it and had lots of retention time.

Still, when I went to upgrade to a more refined neutralizer, when I lifted the bucket, the sides collapsed, snapped actually, at the bails. The plastic, after less than a year in service was as brittle as glass and sharp.

Now, maybe the plastic in general degrades, but other buckets I was using for tools, fittings, carting around things, those exhibited no particular brittleness (unless left in the sun).

So my story may not illustrate anything pertinent, but just an observation.

My optimistic side says that ABS and polypropylene, in general and being used for lab waste (PP more than ABS), it "should" hold up.

I am not a plumber nor plumbing engineer, but I thought foam core versions of these materials were coming under more intense scrutiny, (especially for venting, another whole subject).

Am open to knowing more of course.

My $0.02

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.