Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating, expansion / contraction

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I am running 2 sets of 1" copper heating risers in a town house. I am using kindorf with copper kindorf brackets. I am a little concerned about expansion and contraction noises from the kindorf and brackets. Just wondering what most guys normally use for brackets for copper heating lines.

Thanks

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited October 2010
    Kindorf Clips

McMaster Carr has alot of different Kindorf Clips w/rudder inserts for expansion/contraction/noise reduction etc, chack out their website, they will proably be listed under "strut clamps"
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    May I suggest, rather than just

using resilient mounts (which can inadvertently anchor a pipe and force stresses and noise elsewhere), use swing joints and natural offsets and pipe flexing to absorb the expansion?

You may not be talking much in the way of expansion. A 100 degree rise in copper, say 70F to 170F., will have 100 feet of copper piping grow about 1-1/8". Not a lot, but a generous set of swing elbows top and bottom of a 30 foot riser can do wonders. (These are representative numbers, not design advice, check each situation and dimensions to your needs.)

The natural flexibility of piping allowed to "float" is a good way to minimize expansion noises and stresses.  But point being, use Judo, not handcuffs.

But yes, use of resilient sleeves, Cush-Clamps, etc. are a buffer too. Just take pains not to anchor piping where it can move freely without binding anyway. I hope that is clear.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.