Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valve or Circulator for indirect water heater?

Options
Kakito
Kakito Member Posts: 4
Hi guys, i really like this forum and today i need a sugestion.

I got a job , new system,boiler(heat loss calc.= 40000 BTU's), baseboard (73' aprox.), 3 zones(571 ZV.), programmable thermostats,Taco 406 exp. w/ Prior.,PC 700 reset control and i have to add a new  40 GAL. indirect water heater too(55000 BTU's +to the boiler  its ok.?).My questions are, Zone valve for the W Heater or Circulator pump? and any tip about PC 700? .Thanks a lot.

Kakito.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    zone valve for indirect

Proper piping of indirects requires using the math just like sizing pumps for baseboard. If you use a zone valve, you have to know how much it will affect the flow to the indirect. Unless it is a full port valve, it will restrict flow and deminish the recovery rate of the heater. I have removed many a Taco zone valve (not the valves fault) and replaced it with a circulator because the heater was not delivering full capacity. A zone valve is usually the easy way out because a circulator requires extra stuff like flow checks, more piping, tying into the manifolds, etc. The easy way out is not always the right way. Do the calculations before you pipe.

Good luck.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Wouldn't a

flowcheck or IFC restrict the flow as much as a zone valve ? 
  • Kakito
    Kakito Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks a lot. I appriciete your time.

Kakito
This discussion has been closed.