Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BIOBLEND......Thoughts?

anthony_7
anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
So looking into this bioblend oil for my house.  Always careful of what I do and not knowing if this is a good thing, I put out the question for the experts.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, does it help or hurt my boiler/burner etc.  Thanks for the feedback.  Would you put this in your system?

Cost is comparable for the oil w/ the exception of a .20 cent /gallon tax credit which I am not swaying my decision on. 

Anthony

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    edited October 2010
    B-20?

Going to B-20? These guys have been selling B-20 for years,conventional wisdom says anything over B-5 is a problem. Not sure I'm buying that

http://www.schildwachteroil.com/biofuel.php
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • anthony_7
    anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
    B20 is correct for the product being offered.....

I always wonder why is not being offered more broadly.  
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    There

is no ASTM standard for B-20,you're on your own,no burner manufacturer approves their burner with greater than B-5. That being said,people have been doing it for years with no reported problems. NYC just mandated B-2 in 2012
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Bioblend:

"I" would:

Make sure that you have two (2) spin on oil filters like Garber Model "R" filters, one at the tank and one at the burner to keep potential crap out of the nozzle.

How many BT 's per gallon does this B-20 put out or is it rated at? Straight #2 fuel oil is rated at 139,000 BTU's per gallon. Compute the cost in $ per BTU. Do the same for the B-20. Factor in the rebate. Let me/us what the amount is. I'm curious. Straight oil is usually cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.