Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve/actuator interchangeability

Gordan
Gordan Member Posts: 891
Is there any standardization among the various manufacturers of valves and actuators? For instance, I've got a manifold with twist on/off actuator mount that operates a balancing valve via a "push pin" mechanism. It'd be lovely if I could simply mount a non-electric thermostatic type operator, such as Danfoss RA2000, right on the manifold, rather than foof it up with separate valve bodies and a thousand fittings.

In case you haven't guessed, the manifold manufacturer (RHT) only offers a thermoelectric actuator.

Comments

• Gordan
    Looks like Oventrop...

The screw-on adapter connection is M30x1.5, all the dimensions are the same.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Oventrop actuators

in my experience have much finer thread pitch than say, Honeywell-Braukmann or Macon.

Not that I have tried mating up the non-Oventrop brands, but that the Oventrop thread seems very specific. (For that matter, I have tried mating up rabbits with dollar bills with an appalling lack of success.)

I believe but am not certain that Tunstall Associates in Chicopee MA make adapters for certain TRVs including some obsolete sizes.

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Gordan
    Oventrop has such nice diagrams compared to the rest.

Lots of detail, measurements included. They do have a variety of threaded mount options (and non-threaded mounts) such as M30x1, M28x1... but also M30x1.5. HB is M40x1.5, I think.

So, other than the physical fit of the actuator to the valve, there's also the issue of what different "displacements" of the plunger actually do to flow, which can't readily be eyeballed. Have you heard of anyone mounting nonelectric thermostatic operators directly to the manifold like this, or would I be breaking new ground (and potentially my own family jewels) over an issue of, more or less, elegance? And if I were to simply forget about this and get, say, Danfoss valve bodies with matching operators, any tips on how to get them integrated with a M25 manifold on one side and 1/2" PAP on the other, with the fewest possible points of leakage?

Thanks for the tip on Tunstall!
This discussion has been closed.