Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOT WATER DIVERTER TEE

PORKCHOP
PORKCHOP Member Posts: 21
WE ARE REPLACING A BOILER THAT WAS INSTALLED IN THE 50'S,  THIS SYSTEM HAS ORIGINAL CIRCULATORS QTY. TWO INSTALLED ON THE RETURN SIDE OF THE SYSTEM.  WE JUST ACQUIRED THIS CUSTOMER THROUGH A CONTRACTOR THAT IS DOING A RENOVATION PROJECT.  WE DON'T KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE SYSTEM OTHER THAN THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS HEATING IN SOME AREAS MOSTLY THE SECOND FLOOR.  THE PIPING IS SPLIT SO THAT FRONT SECTION OF HOUSE IS ON 1 PIPE AND BACK SECTION ON ANOTHER PIPE.  I AM THINKING OF INSTALLING ONE CIRCULATOR ON THE SUPPLY AND PIPING AS RECOMMENDED FROM DAN'S BOOK PUMPING AWAY.  TO DETERMINE THE PROPER FT. OF HEAD I AM TRYING TO DETERMINE THE PRESS. DROP ACROSS THE OLD CAST IRON MONO FLO FITTINGS AND THE PRESS. DROP ACROSS THE CONVECTION STYLE RADIATORS. 

IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ON THE PRESSURE DROP OF THESE ITEMS OR WHERE TO LOOK FOR THIS INFO?

ARE WE DOING THE RIGHT THING BY GOING FROM TWO TO ONE CIRCULATORS AND MOVING CIRCULATOR TO THE SUPPLY SIDE

THANKS

PORK CHOP

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Probably more than you bargained for,

but the attached are things I have collected over the years from this site and others, specific to MonoFlo tees. 
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • PORKCHOP
    PORKCHOP Member Posts: 21
    monoflo hot water system

BRAD

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.  I HAVE SAVED ALL OF THE ATTACHMENTS.  THIS INFO LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT WILL BE USEFUL FOR THIS PROJECT AS WELL AS FURTURE PROJECTS.

RONNIE
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I may be wrong.

But I always figured that a diverter tee pressure drop was only a critical measurement when you need to remove radiators and cap lines. The pressure you lose at the tee is gained back after the tee. You can see on that one B+G chart, the footnote mentions that the CV ratings are for plugged bull tees. 
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    One or two circulators?

Why would you want to use a single circulator instead of separate ones on each circuit? I would think it would be much easier to balance the system with two circulators. In addition, you have the ability to separate the system into two zones using separate thermostats.
This discussion has been closed.