Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator oxidation

Options
I have a radiator in my attic that I cut off the water to so I didn't heat this unlived in space. Now, I worry about the little bit of water that is on the bottom of the rad corroding the rad. Do i need to worry and if so what should i do to get all the water out?

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    High and Dry

A little bit of water does not scare me, given that steam radiators see a lot of air and moisture regularly and seem to survive. Manhole covers are cast iron too, don't forget.

Left alone and open, meaning disconnected and open that way,  that cup or so of water should evaporate in a week or so.

I suppose if you really want to get the inside as dry as Joe Biden's Book of Humor, you might take a hair dryer or hot air gun and let it run in the spud opening for about ten minutes as one thought. Supervised of course, don't walk away from it.

I take it that freezing is not of concern? I would not think so, but just asking. A full disconnect and capping the feed lines might make sense if that is the case. Just an aside.

My $0.02 anyway.

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.