Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AquaSmart wiring for Indirect HW. Need Verification

Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
I have just installed a Beckett AquaSmart oil boiler control. The control is great, but the documentation is a little weak for someone like me. I have installed a TACO ZVC406 with indirect HW. Everything is working fine.

The AquaSmart control has outdoor reset built into it. Instead of having an outside temperature sensor to determine the boiler High Limit setting, the AquaSmart watches how often the boiler is firing. The more it fires, the colder it is outside. The less it fires, the warmer the outside temp. It adjusts the High Limit according to its algorithms.

The Indirect HW can mess with the concept if not addressed. Here lies my problem:

1 - There is no Tech Support on Beckett's website aside from an email address for Sales. Dead end.

2. - The AquaSmart documentation says to connect a wire to the ZR (I assume this means Zone Relay) terminal on the AquaSmart to tell it that there is a request from the Indirect to give it more heat.

Here is what I think I am supposed to do but don't want to FRY anything which is why I am asking for confirmation.

On the TACO ZVC406, for each zone, there is a connection block at the top for the thermostat and and a connection block at the bottom for the zone valve. On the bottom block, there are 4 spots for 24V wires numbered 1,2,3,4. 1 and 2 I believe complete the thermostat circuit. I believe 3 is the zone valve communicating back to the ZVC406 that it is OPEN or CLOSED.

I believe that I need to run a thermostat grade wire from the Indirect zone's 3rd connector on the ZVC406 to the ZR connector on the AquaSmart. What concerns me on the AquaSmart is that all the wiring on the block is 120V but I want to but a 24V wire on the ZR terminal

I believe that is all I have to do. Sorry to ramble, but just trying to be specific.

Thanks,

Obie

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Try This

This link should help you out. Half way down on the page is a interative video. Once you get through the brief intro there is a drop down menu. Click on the wiring and away you go.

http://hvhehcca.org/2010/09/beckett-aquasmart-boiler-control/
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Stop!

ZR is 120V. If the indirect is on a zone valve,you will need a RIB relay or similar if you insist on priority. My advice? Leave it as is,the AquaSmart will "see" the indirect as load and adjust accordingly
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Hey_Obie
    I was going to do that.

I felt it was fine to just blend the indirect in but then I didn't think it would work. If I have my Indirect aquastat set to 170, the AQUASMART, may not run that hot. If it limits out at 140, I think the circulator would just keep running because the aquastat is calling for heat
  • Robert O'Brien
    Sure it will

It will see the heat call   persisting and continually raise the target high limit until it hits the limit. Of course if you set the AquaSmart HL below that of the indirect it will never satisfy,but why would you?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    Let the Zone Control

Take care of priority. Keep it simple.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Hey_Obie
    Heat Manager

I want to use the Heat Manager feature in the AquaSmart. The HeatManger looks at the load on the boiler and adjusts the HL in attempts to make the boiler more efficient (outdoor reset)

Unless I don't understand, the Heat Manager could drop the HL below my setting on the indirect. Which is why I am trying to isolate the indirect.

Right now, I have disabled the heat manager and have set HL at 175, LL at 150.
  • Hey_Obie
    Thanks

Going through it now. I couldn't find this when I was on their site. Thanks
  • Robert O'Brien
    Chris

it's to overide the heat manager logic on a DHW call. Great HVHEHCCA website,you've really done quite a job in getting this group going in a relatively short time! 
  • Robert O'Brien
    What temp?

What temp do you want the indirect?
  • CMadatMe
    Thanks

Got ya on the override. Many late nights to put that together. Still have to do the cooling side over the winter. I have a ton more heating stuff to get up. I try to add something everyday.

Something that I haven't done yet is post all of Joe Friedrich's writings from 1990 to 1998. I have all of them in a pdf file in chronological order by month and year for 8 years. I received permission from Joe to post them. Great stuff. Just haven't finished the page dedicated to them.
  • Hey_Obie
    Keeping it on the high side

I have a 30 gal TT tank. I am now just test to see how much HW we use. I am running the indirect at 170. I think that is too hot for summer.

Any suggestions are helpful. I am self taught, so I don't know what temp to set it at. I figure if it is set to the hi end, I'd have a lot more HW.

I was going to try dropping it to 140 to see if it can keep up. I can drop the boiler down then as well.

Your thoughts apprciated
  • Hey_Obie
    Chris

Not sure what you mean. I take it you mean add the relay as mentioned in the video.

Will the RIBUIC work?

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf/datasheets/RIBU1C.pdf

Obie
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    edited September 2010
    Bob , the 6 zone relay

has a separate , dry contact for the priority zone . Could that be wired into ZC / ZR somehow to bump the boiler temp up for the indirect ?

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-092.pdf
  • Robert O'Brien
    edited September 2010
    Ron

Yes, program AquaSmart for DHW on ZR and bring 110 to ZR and it will overide reset.
This discussion has been closed.