Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just added to the Library

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
One of the earliest editions of what became Consumer Reports. This issue covers Heating and Ventilating, Lighting, Fire Extinguishers, and Building Materials. Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/133/For-the-Homeowner-Builder/1812/Consumers-Research-1931">http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/133/For-the-Homeowner-Builder/1812/Consumers-Research-1931</a>
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Remarkable...

Worth reading, the treatise on coal, how even then, in 1931, they were critical of one-pipe steam, declaring it all but obsolete. The articles cited re: carbon monoxide, from 1923 no less, tells you that the past is prologue, once again. Good find, Dan!
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • DanHolohan
    Glad you enjoyed it.

You can see the roots of the magazine to come in this issue. Unbiased and blunt. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Great Reading!

Thanks, Dan ! Great reading!

Don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer than usual for the PDF to load.  Found an interesting statement on Page 8 - they use a factor of 150 BTU per square foot, per hour (no temperature stated) for HW radiator radiation. The "modern" factor is 180 BTU @ 190 F.    I wonder if this was a writing/printing mistake or "old think" and if "old think", why the change to the "modern" factor?

- Rod
  • DanHolohan
    Rod,

The 150 Btu/EDR would be from an average water temperature of 170 F. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    "Standard"?

Thanks Dan. I was just wondering if 150BTU (@170F) was the conversion "standard" at that time. I'm assuming that since they didn't have modulating that they thought in an "on and off" way.   The article does list 240 BTU s for steam. But steam is steam so you really can't use any other number.

Have you had run across this 150 BTU "standard" in any of your other old books from this time period or before?  All others I have read use the 180 BTU (@190F) conversion factor.

Thanks

- Rod
  • DanHolohan
    Yes,

150 Btu/Sq. Ft. EDR has been standard for systems that have water leaving the boiler at 180 and returning at 160. The numbers work like this:

Average Water Temp.     Output in Btuh per Sq. Ft. EDR

150                                           110

155                                           120

160                                           130

165                                           140

170                                           150

175                                           160

180                                           170

185                                           180

190                                           190

195                                           200

200                                           210

205                                           220

210                                           230

215 (steam at 1 psi)                   240

So when the average water temperature changes by five degrees F., the Btu output per sq. ft. EDR moves by 10 Btus.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.