Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro-Press and Similar Systems

Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
Hey guys and girls,

What is the current conventional wisdom regarding the Pro-Press type systems (Nibco, etc.) and others of that type, specifically with glycol?

There was an issue several years ago with weeping of glycol. At the time it was explained that the pipe ends may have been out of round, different manufacturers tolerances, etc.

It also seemed that this "weepage" was only with glycol -OR- it happened with water too but glycol left a tell-tale dye colored ring. For this reason we deleted it from our specifications and no one had suggested using it again until a few days ago, for a "summer slammer" fast track project next summer at a local university.

I love to say, "yes", but I also want to sleep at night. Sorry of this was vetted before, what is current wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    This might not help, but

I have not used my ProPress on glycol, yet. ProPress is all I use, though, for residential boilers. All of my work is with city water. I have never had any "weepage" or streaks, drips, drabs or any leaks what-so-ever. Best tool money I ever spent.

Every system I've done, I maintain. I bought my ProPress about (4) years ago, so I have about (4) years of work that I've kept an eye on.

As far as glycol, every other contractor I've run into, I've asked what their experience has been using ProPress with glycol (since I'm aware of the thread you may be speaking of). All of them said they have never had any problems of any kind.

The main supply house I buy my ProPress from also recommends it for glycol use. The way I look at that, for the big volume they sell, if there were any glycol problems, they would know about, it. And, they would not be telling me it's OK to use if it wasn't.

I hope that helps.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    PP & Glycol

The #1 thing I took away from that infamous post back then is not to pump straight glycol into a press piping system first. Rather dilute and mix then add. I've been doing it that way and never had any seepage.
This discussion has been closed.