Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PRESIDENT

Options
FTWIII
FTWIII Member Posts: 14
I AM LOOKING AT THE RATING PLATE FOR AN OLD NATIONAL HYDRONIC BOILER. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NET I-B-R RATING FOR WATER, 324,100, AND THE A.G.A RATING OF 540,000 BTU/HR INPUT AND 432,000 BTU/HR OUTPUT?

I HAVE NEVER REALLY BEEN CLEAR ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NET I-B-R AND THE A.G.A RATING. ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Ratings:

NET I-B-R RATING

I AM LOOKING AT THE RATING PLATE FOR AN OLD NATIONAL HYDRONIC BOILER. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NET I-B-R RATING FOR WATER, 324,100, AND THE A.G.A RATING OF 540,000 BTU/HR INPUT AND 432,000 BTU/HR OUTPUT?

I HAVE NEVER REALLY BEEN CLEAR ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NET I-B-R AND THE A.G.A RATING. ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

It is my understanding that the AGA rating of 540,000 BTU/Hr Input is the max amoount of gas that the boiler will take. The 432,000 BTU/Hr is the amount of available usable energy that the boiler can use. The IBR rating of 324,100 BTU/Hr is the amount of radiation available to be used by heat emitting units to be heated.

Or put another way, if you do not install more than 324,100 of actual heat loss, the system will heat at design tempretures. If you install 540,000 BTU/HR of heat emitting units, the boiler will not be able to provided the energy to heat this installation.

Hope this is correct and explains it.
This discussion has been closed.