Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

threader chewing up threads

sjb
sjb Member Posts: 3
has anyone had problems w/ their threader chewing up threads? I have a ridgid

700 power threader w/ a  3/4" die that will destroy the 3rd & 4th thread. I just bought a brand new die and it does the same thing. Could be the pipe? It is made in Canada and coming form a reputable wholesaler 

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    pipe dies

having the same issue and not just with 3/4". IF you properly reset your dies when you replaced them and are using fresh oil and the problem continues, its got to be the pipe.....frustrating when we spend 1/2 day looking of die teeth (Ridgid selling at HD for under fair trade and our supplier has stopped carrying the parts, at least that is the excuse we hear) and the new teeth do the same thing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Bad oil...

I've seen cheap and bad cutting oil cause the threads to spall.

Possibly a recent change in oil useage lately???

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    What Mark said!

Its often the oil. We had an old time who worked for us and he would always complain about the new pipe and how bad it threaded. One day I noticed he was dumping his used motor oil in the threader oil bucket. When he finally was not looking I replaced the oil with fresh clean oil and he commented on how much better the new pipe we got was.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • MacPHJr
    MacPHJr Member Posts: 66
    Same Problem

It has been happen to us too. Went out and bought a new head. Same thing happened. Replaced oil. Same thing. Pipe was from Canada and seemed to have a thicker wall. My father said same thing happened to them around 20 years ago with pipe from Canada. Now we ask where the pipe is from before we buy it. Supply house looked at us like we were crazy.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Oversize pipe?

Try a new wheel in your cutter.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Pipe threads:

Same here. Some time ago, I had a problem with wrecked threads. Found out it was "foreign" pipe. Started demanding US made pipe and the problem stopped. Seems I remember using 10' lengths with no markings and had a problem. Got a 21' length of US pipe and had no problem.

Before getting too nuts, try some other pipe. Like if you have some old salvaged pipe of left over short pieces. Try threading them. If you don't have a problem, it's the pipe. That's how I figured my problem out.
This discussion has been closed.