Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replaced valve and some pipe.

Options
I replaced my flow control valve along with steel pipe. I then filled the system up with water and bleed the radiators. I had one small leak, drip from a steel 1.5 inch to 2.0 inch adapter that meets up to the valve. I had to tighten that adapter all the way with a big pipe wrench to stop that leak.

My question is: Can you over tighten a steel adapter like that? I pulled as hard as I could until I couldn't turn it anymore and the leak stopped. Its not leaking anymore, just wondering if it will be ok being that tight? I hate to drain the whole system and take it all apart again.

Thanks

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    fittings:

You can overtighten steel fittings. If you overtighten a cast iron threaded fitting, you will crack it. If you overtighten a malable iron fitting, it will tighten as you turn and tighten it. When you reach that place where you think you might go a little farther and not make it around, it will tighten, then loosen. You have stretched the fitting and it will probably leak.

Me personally, I ONLY use teflon tape and teflon pipe dope together. I put the tape on the male end of the fitting and cover it with paste. I often paste the inside of the fitting. I can tighten it with a pair of large pliers and never have a leak.

The fitting you write about will probably leak over time.

If I find a leak, I take it apart and use teflon tape and paste.

It's worked for me for over 40 years.

CMG
This discussion has been closed.