Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Curious,,,,

How many people work on newer systems,,,,,, or is there more money to be made in the oldies?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    oldies or new ones

Dave, in the 15 years before I finally put down the tools, I installed about 350 boilers and the vast majority were retrofits or upgrades. I did about 24 new systems, from single zone to a apartment complex with 3 boilers and two indirects heating 30 zones.....I'll take retrofit and upgrades anyday....no other "experts" around to tell you how to do your job. General Contractors for the most part think they know more than we do about heat.

The last new one I did was three years ago, an owner built house and that job tied me and my money up for 2 1/2 years....give me a good steamer replacement anyday.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    More repair than new

Easier to get paid to fix a present problem than a theoretical problem. As Al said GC's often know better. How to spend their profits on important things like imported marble and crown molding instead of a heating system noone ever sees except the HVAC sub who is trying to make it workon a cold January evening when it will not get above 65 in the master bedroom. I am more than happy to work on whatever comes in on the phone or email. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Oldies.....

The low ballers gravitate to new construction and that is what the GC or homeowner usually wants...the cheapest price. 

Give me a steamer anytime....everyone else doesn't know what thier doing and if you do the job right, you'll look like a genious because the system now heats evenly, doesn't bang and the fuel bills are lower than anyone elses.

Now, a new steam system is another subject........

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    mostly

newer.

Most of my workload is new installation-systems or parts of systems, retrofits. I still do some repair service if called on. I have little tolerance for nursing along junk, however, just to look like a hero. Been there, done that.

Residentially speaking, IMO, it's throwing good money away that could have been used to fund modern equipment if you are dealing with 20-25+ year old stuff. Come on, people-let it go.

• I agree.....

When I was referring to "oldies" that meant older systems.   Nursing along junk is in nobodies good interest and tends to get people killed.  Taking an old steam system and giving it a new lease on life by taking care of all the deferred maintanance and knuckle heading, balancing it, new boiler, etc.....this is what makes you look like a genious.  

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Right Now

Dave I'd have to say right now replacements is the lucrative way to go. People looking to replace equipment are generally looking to upgrade. In new construction they are too worried about the budget when it comes to mechanicals because they want the pretty cabinets, countertops and fixtures.

• Thanks guys,,,,

Come-see,,, come-saw,,,,

Here`s one I looked-at today,,,, someone else started-it, someone else`s design,,,,, "I have all the materials,, please finish-it",,,,,

I have seen much worse,,,,, but I hate this kinda stuff!!
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I thought

You didn't like the big "V". I'd add a low loss header and get rid of the pri/sec. It's a very simple piping scheme. Page 16 and just eliminate the DHW.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Specifically

thinking about that do-gooder phantom tech/uncle/brother of my friend's father who knows ______ that used to _____________. They told me that boiler would last for 100 years and more. ;)

Great expectations...yeah, maybe the IRON will...
  • Well Chris,,

I didn`t mean to imply that I have any real dislike for the big "V",,,, just in my area they are a tough sell price-wise.

This will be my first experience with one of these.

Funny thing with this,,, the installer also used a Rinnai for the domestic,,,, seems a little redundant to me,,,, haven`t figured-out why just yet. :-) 
  • hydronx_3
    hydronx_3 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2010
    retrofits

the new vitodens are much more competitive cost wise

now the public just needs more education on the efficiency of an indirect tank compared to a old standard gas fired tank they ain't the same.  The tankless is no match to an indirect fired tank off a condensing boiler in my opinion.

For you guys doing alot of retrofits, how do you market-advertise to get them?

Glen
This discussion has been closed.