Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex Expansion Noise?

I am about to start a project that involves home run distribution with pex tubing to individual cast iron rads from a manifold. The house is wood frame. To save some effort drilling, I am considering drilling larger diameter, albeit acceptable, holes thru the joists and running multiple pex lines thru these larger holes. I will make sure lines r not tight or squeezed together. Do u think I will have pex noise issues doing this? All rads on each floor are on the same zone. Please advise.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I wouldn't

run anything but a pex-aluminum-pex product for this, Jason. "Regular" pex will grow and droop and squeak as it gets hot. I would not take the chance especially if runs are going to be covered up forever in walls, etc. PAP behaves like copper, and is quiet.

I have no problem bundling multiple lines in an approved hole.
  • Jason Quinn
    Jason Quinn Member Posts: 96
    Thanks, Bob

I appreciate the insight.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    pex

look at using Viega fostapex pipe. it is a full width pex pipe with a aluminum in it to be used as a oxygen barrier and also keeps the pipe from drooping and this pipe does not grow like regular pex with a oxygen barrier does. should be no noise.
This discussion has been closed.