Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heat - Apartments

I am converting a 3 floor house into 3 apartments. They are currently heated with radiator heat. I have been told not to remove hot water heat for forced air but at the same time I do want to install air conditioning in the units. So, my questions are as follows:

1. How do  I seperate the cost of heating for each apartment by retaining hot water heat?

2. How do I put in air conditioning without duct venting?

3. Should I replace the radiators with updated hot water coil wall units?

Thanks in advance

Borremeo

Comments

• apt. conversion

i suggest you use mini-split heat pumps. they can be separately metered for each apartment as each would use the separate electric meter in each apt.

as they lose their efficiency at outdoor temps below 20 deg. f, then the hot water heat can take over. leave the radiators unless you radically change the room size.

Mitsubishi mr. slim is one system, fujutsu is another.--nbc
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    the best

scenario is to have seperate hot water systems for each apt, so tenants have seperate utility bills. You could meter zone valves or circulator pumps for each unit but it gets sticky and requires landlord intervention..not desireable. This is if you are set on keeping the radiators.

I'm with Nicholas, put a ductless minisplit in each for A/C at least, if not heat pumps with seperate meters for question #2.

#3, I would not go that route in this case. IMO, see above.
This discussion has been closed.