Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nat Gas Generators.

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I've had a customer ask me about installing a naturel gas generator in her house. Well I'll do anything for a buck so I told her I'd research it and let her know. We've had a lot of power outages this Summer and folks are fed up with losing food and bumping around in the dark at night. I might even be interested in putting a small generator to provide the essentials during a power outage. Are there any books or websites you would recommend. Any name brands that are a higher value and are quiet? This could be cool to do and I could make money doing it too. I appreciate any help I can get. WW

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,824
    check the gasline size

I had a job where the generator was added a year after the house was completed.

Started to get flame failures on the mod con. Turned out every week when the generator "exercised" the boiler and other gas appliances would go down.

We ended up getting a new gas meter and a high pressure set, and a bunch of regulators to provide enough gas, it was an expensive lesson.

So select the generator size, then check the gas consumption to what your service can provide.

Kohler and Generac are the main brands around here, check their websites for sizing info.

Grid tie solar with the new micro inverters are starting to look pretty good with recent price decreases on modules, etc. Very simple to install with micro inverters. But no backup without a battery bank. A sunny day power outage "fixer"

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Don't forget a frequent Wall advertiser....

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/11/Hot-Tech-Tips/206/Mini-CHPs

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Freewatt

I looked at Freewatt via the advertisement below. Looks like an interesting product. I'd like to try it at my house. The problem with this customer is, I just installed a brand new mod con and Freewatt does not allow combining their system with any products other than Freewatt. (Allthough I bet it's possible.) I'd love to learn more, (as always) and wouldnt mind learning about it by intalling it in my house. That would make my house radiant floor heated with 90 evacuated solar thermal tubes and a mod con backed up by a mini chp. I'd bring my lawn chair back down into the basement and watch the workings with interest. I might even bring my guitar and sing to the savings. (maybe not. My wife thinks I'm weird.)
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Freewatt

I looked at Freewatt via the advertisement below. Looks like an interesting product. I'd like to try it at my house. The problem with this customer is, I just installed a brand new mod con and Freewatt does not allow combining their system with any products other than Freewatt. (Allthough I bet it's possible.) I'd love to learn more, (as always) and wouldnt mind learning about it by intalling it in my house. That would make my house radiant floor heated with 90 evacuated solar thermal tubes and a mod con backed up by a mini chp. I'd bring my lawn chair back down into the basement and watch the workings with interest. I might even bring my guitar and sing to the savings. (maybe not. My wife thinks I'm weird.)
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    I like the Honda Inverters

They are just a cut above the rest,very quiet and trouble free. You will need to convert it to gas. This is a simple straightforward process.

http://www.propane-generators.com/eu3000i_kits.htm
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Honda Inverters

All I see on line are portable genetor/inverters from Honda. The customer wants something to happen automatically. She is not able to pull a cord or anything like that. I like mosdt Honda products and used to have a small Honda generator for job sites without power until it got ripped off. Bummer dude. I am still looking for a book to give me and education on generators. Any leads are appreciated
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    They have power managment

and remote starts but nothing that will automatically start it. Sorry to hear about your generator. I hate thieves.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_powermanagement
This discussion has been closed.