Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's best fin-tube enclosure for bathroom?

I'm trying to button up a renovation/resuscitation of small apartment bathroom - it had Slant-Fin Fine-Line 15, badly installed, then tiled over bottom edge, thoroughly re-repainted, and in a bathroom used by boys.... then frozen when they abandoned the building.

We've managed to salvage and repair most of the other baseboard in the building, but are willing to use new in the bathroom...

Short of making the boys use trees in the yard, I'd like to hear the Wall's experiences about what brand of baseboard holds up the best in bathroom environments. The room is small enough that wall panels aren't an option - and the baseboard pretty much has to run beside and behind the toilet. Price IS a consideration - we're Yankees.

Thanks!

Vbob

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    And the answer is...

None!! Baseboard is so cheap it's fun to p*ss on it. Young boys can't help it.  There is no baseboard made that holds up any better than others. The high output (83A) made by Slant Fin uses a thicker guage metal. Either put in a towel bar warmer or get used to rusting baseboard (and the wondeful aroma)
  • Well....

slantfin also makes a moisture resistant line just for bathrooms, so you may want to take a look at it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    OR.....

Price may be a factor here but I had one just like that and solved the problem by going to a local sheet metal shop and having them fab up a back and cover out of light gauge stainless steel. IIRC, it was about 3 feet in length and cost the owners $150.00  But the "problem" was eliminated. 
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited September 2010
    you could

run a section of cast iron baseboard like Burnham's Base Ray. Will it rust? Sure! But may be be easier to deal with than all the folds, fins, bends, etc you have with fin tube.

Possible anodizing? Might get you out of the teenage years...

If heat loss is small enough, you may be able to go radiant floor, possibly electric, and eliminate the problem altogether. Would it cost more than HWBB? Yup, but what's it worth to not have to deal with the alternative?

• Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for thoughts

Thanks for various ideas -

Paul - who said anything about YOUNG boys??? Frankly, we're all part of the problem....

BoilerPro - I asked a nameless local supply house about SlantFin Rust Resistor BB, and was told 'they don't make it anymore'. A bit of Googling around hints that maybe they do, but don't CALL it that anymore. As always, further research needed...

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=148890

Steve - Stainless ! The boss (my wife) will love it - I think this is what we'll try - a local tin-knocker owes me a favor or two.

Bob - we would love to go radiant floor, but can't rip anymore apart just now - and need this chunk of baseboard in the system to get the loop over a tough spot in the framing so we can get heat to the bedrooms without running risers up through the stairs like the last crew....
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Take your baseboard

to a local powder coating company and have them powder coat it. I have this done on cast iron baseboard and it holds up excellent.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Hayden

Hayden makes it and it also comes with the end caps. Stock it.  Did you consider a towel warmer?

• grumbug
    grumbug Member Posts: 7
    what of another option

If the bath has a vanity sink what of a Beacon Morris K 4200 two speed kick space heater
  • kev
    kev Member Posts: 100
    Try this

company.   go-overboard.com they make covers in what ever material you like. It was a few years ago that I used them, but was pretty impressed with quality
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    cut to the chase

So I stop back to the nameless supply house where I've always bought my Slant/Fin, with a printed list and two questions. An hour later, after the single counter guy says 'please let the pro's go first' even though they're on the cell phone at the counter trying to figure out what they need, I left and went to the big Orange store, and picked up Slant/Fin Fine/Line 30 - the boxes are prominently printed "Now with commercial grade galvanized enclosure". I was concerned that Big Orange might be selling B-stock - I know a lot of familiar brands have a special line just for the Orange and Blue stores, but this looks like the real McCoy - and I have it, and I have it installed, which is more to the point.....

Stainless slipcovers might come later - first I have to finish the loop so I can pressure test it.

Thanks for lots of good ideas for the next time, when I have more time.....

Vbob

PS: HVHEHCCA 'Chris' - did you mean to mention an outfit that stocks a Haydon equivalent to Slant/Fin 'Rust Resistor' with included caps? - I do like the idea of plastic trim - which also makes me wonder if I keep the system at condensing temps (Prestige Solo 110) then maybe all-plastic enclosures have some possibilities.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    last I heard

Slant Fin dropped the rust resistor, like 3 years ago. I doubt any tears were shed. The cheesy plastic end caps were about 2" wide, never sat right on the covers, and look like poo. Ugh.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Hayden Rust Board

Hayden does not have plastic. I wanted to mention that there is a board out there for your type of application. I work for a wholesaler that covers NY, NJ, Eastern PA and Mass. We stock it.

• Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    rust resistant baseboard

Slant/Fin rust resistant baseboard was discontinued because all Fine/Line 30 and Multi.Pak 80 cover is now made out of galvanized steel. We recommend use of non-hinged end caps in moist areas. On hinged end caps rust can delvelop on the hinges.

Thanks,

Keith Muhlmeister

Slant/Fin
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    rust resistant baseboard

Slant/Fin rust resistant baseboard was discontinued because all Fine/Line 30 and Multi.Pak 80 cover is now made out of galvanized steel. We recommend use of non-hinged end caps in moist areas. On hinged end caps rust can delvelop on the hinges.

Thanks,

Keith Muhlmeister

Slant/Fin
This discussion has been closed.