Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inverter technology

pipe4zen
pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
What is inverter technology?

And how is it 1) more efficient 2) Capable of heating at very low temperatures.?

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Inverters

convert AC current to DC and then operate the compressor on DC current, allowing the compressor to be variable speed.

Being able to variably control the speed of the compressor and the condenser fans along with a few sensors allows them to operate at very low temps. Here is a video showing how well they work along with many others on utube. I installed them in my own house over a year ago and have been nothing short of amazed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7KKyuwlOM
  • mini-splits

220-v single-phase is converted to 370-volts DC and then inverted to 200-volts simulated 3-phase, which grants the ability to vary motor speeds. Refrigerant is metered in sync with the motor speeds. Sippin only the energy required to meet comfort-demand at any given moment in time.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    It would seem

after all that converting and inverting the electrical losses would out weigh any gains in efficiency, but they end up about 30% more efficient. Samsung felt that the losses also were high and used a system with Copeland called a DVM...digital variable multi. They felt running the motor at a steady speed and varying the internal volume of the compressor was more energy efficient. I installed one but it was on the noisy side for a residential. There is also a new mini split that runs directly off solar cells, I believe that unit uses a dc compressor without inverting back to ac.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Thanks!

Thanks for the info, any one has experience with Mr.Slim Hyper heat units, I'm thinking of putting a 9,000btu unit in my office.
This discussion has been closed.