Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Ceramic blanket for gasket?

EricPEricP Posts: 3Member
Have a quick question, going to clean out this boiler that runs on oil and

want to put it back together. The cleanout port had ceramic gasket my

question is can I replace what was there with <strong>Kaowool dry blanket?</strong>

Johnstone carries it which is a lot closer to me than going somewhere

else for the refractory blanket stuff...

Thanks,

Eric<strong>

</strong>

Comments

• Cleanout gaskets:

I carry a Lynn "Wet Blanket" ceramic felt "rug" that you can use as a chamber. It comes in a box, in a bag and is wet. You cut what you need. I use them on Weil-McLain Gold WGO boilers for when I have to open the front and suck all the crud from cold start boilers. Vacuuming the crud will destroy the OEM floor refractory rug. I replace the "rug" with the Lynn which is thicker and the next year, I slide the whole thing out to clean the crud from under the rug.

That said, on boilers like a Weil-Mclain 78 series, I cut a piece of the same blanket material and use it. It lasts for years. A trick is to slather the surface of the boiler with Never-Seize. The cleanout and gasket will pop right off without sticking and tearing off.

So, hopefully to answer your qhestion, use a piece of refractory rug. Like the Lynn "Wet Blanket.

CMG
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!