Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic Air Vents

ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
My Smart 50 was installed using the automatic air vent that came with it and after about 2 1/2 years it has developed a leak.  For now, I just closed the little cap. I tried to clear it by pushing down on the valve a couple of times but its still weeping so I think I need a new one.

Do I even need this thing? It seems to help whenever I have to drain the system but this zone never needs to be drained. There is allready a big spirovent on the supply line (pumping away).

Is there a better way to go? The Smart 50 has a 1/2" NPT Nipple and then a reducer to a 1/8" NPT thread for the vent. Could I stick a spirovent on a brass coupling or something and forget about it for 15 years? Or, do I have to keep replacing this thing.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    couple options...

Ya you really do need it. Yoiu could do a spirotop that spirovent makes. not cheap $45.00. or you could install one of those  hyvent shutoffs into the bushing and it would be easier to replace....kpc
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Kevin is right

You definitley want a working air vent on top of a Smart tank .

I'm sure there's a purge valve for the indirect . But even after a good purge there's still a ton of air that will get trapped at the top of the tank ( if the air vent isn't working )  .

If you decide to replace the air vent you might want to thread on a hand valve first . Will make changing the vent a snap in the future .
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Thanks!

It seems to have stopped leaking. I guess my little flush did work after all. I just hooked in a Runtal basboard heater and there may have been some globs of pipe dope or something in they system that wound up in there. I will order a spirotop and fit it next time I feel compelled to open it up for something.
This discussion has been closed.