Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

You East coasters best batten down the hatches.....

Earl is coming to visit.

Our thoughts are with you all. Stay safe.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Me hatches be battened!

.....whatever that means.

I'm sure we all appreciate your concern. I think NYC will just have some stormy weather on Friday and a pretty decent rest of the Labor Day weekend.

Happy official end-of-summer to all. Now let's start puttin in some ber-lers again.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    The term battended hatches...

Comes from the ancient mariner days. Hatches, as we all know is a small door or window. To batten means to lash or tie down.

So, battening hatches means close your doors and windows TIGHT. :-)

Now, about the berlers...

ME

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Oh, that's just some Brooklynese faw yuh.

http://gothamist.com/2010/04/29/speaking_brooklyn.php
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Ex Maine Doug
    Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2010
    A little disapointing

so far we have had a minor shower. I am at the moment looking for brushes to scrub my little Biasi's. About 40 miles NW of Bar Harbor on the Penobscot River. We have a couple of yachts on the town dock. I helped my next door neighbor the Harbormaster set the lines for this one:

http://www.charterbrochure.com/enticer/

and a 50 footer.  American Cruise Lines will be here Sunday with the Independence.

Gusts inland to 30 MPH. Gusts DownEast to 50 MPH. 1-4 in rain. No big deal. If stuff starts flying I will stay in the vault. The views attached are towards my town. I am waving.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Great pix...

Doug... I have not been up that way in 20yrs. Is that the new Bucksport bridge? pretty neat. I remember going to Fort Knox as a kid...

As for the "storm" here in NH is was mearly a rain storm of low magnitude. pretty boring.
  • Much Ado About Not Much

I am in eastern Long Island and we were all prepared for all that Earl had to dish out. Some wind... some rain..... not much of anything else.

I guess we can count our blessings.

• Ex Maine Doug
    Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
    New Bridge

Yes it is the new bridge with an observation section at the top of the west tower, about 425 feet. I watched it being built.  One Friday the weight limit on the old one went from 100,000 pounds to 12,000 pounds.  Seems about a quarter of the strands in the downriver side cable were broken and microphones were detecting more snapping.  Thus a new bridge in record time. The old one still stands as the state is too broke to take it down.

Here is a view of the new bridge in the winter from my parking lot.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    lucked out

living on Cape Cod, it's always a possibility for a major storm, but we sure did dodge this bullet. Enjoy the long weekend
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    not much in maine

but went wave watching yesterday after the "storm" passed, and it did not disappoint. we only see waves like that at best once a year around here. great day.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.